Ford Focus ST Forum banner
221 - 240 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
i figured it out. If you're experiencing problems its because you have a bad connection *somewhere*. I was frustrated because the new circuit I created, I'd tested prior to putting it in the car and I still had issues. In my case, there was nothing wrong with the new circuit I created. I made a bad assumption:

The recommendation is to take advantage of the screw underneath the glove box as a ground. There is a piece of plastic between the frame and the screw. I mistakenly thought that having my o-ring terminal in close contact with the screw head (which was therefor screwed into the frame) was a good enough ground- this was incorrect. When I put the o-ring terminal directly against the metal bar and screwed the plastic down over it, I had a good enough connection.
I grounded mine behind the panel next to the glovebox and the door

·
Registered
6 Posts
Success! Just got my V1 set up. Smooth install. Thanks so much for the details and great pics!
Also, not sure where i read it, but it came in handy. If you don't get power through the first time, rotate the add-a-circuit and plug it back in with opposite polarity. Worked great after that!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
The ground shown in the picture is not a good ground. There is a plastic piece there. You need to get between the plastic piece and the metal bar.
There's nothing wrong with that spot. It has good contact with a metal washer. I've Used it for two years with no problems. It's just a 12v radar detector. It may be a different story if it was HVAC or something.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah it doesn't work for me. Even tried testing it with a multimeter, not a good ground. Now about a foot to left, in roughly the same spot, is a much better ground. It is also easier to access.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My G1-w will randomly shut off at times. I'm using fuse 85 with a 3amp add-a-circuit. Has anyone else experienced this?
I've seen my G1W shut off randomly twice. Both times I unplugged the USB out of the top and plugged it right back in, and it turned on. No problems again after this, I chalked it up to shotty Chinese connection in the G1W just vibrating a little or something.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just installed a dashcam in my '15 ST1 and I wanted to add confirmation that fuse slot #85 still works with the 2015s. The fuse box is a little different than 13-14 as they added a slot for heated steering wheel and fuse #85 is labeled a little differently in the fuse diagram. However it still works the same as others have reported with earlier models. On when you hit the button to start car (or ACC mode), and off when you hit button to turn off car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Want to wire in USB power? Of course you do. A lot of dash cams and radar detectors run off of USB so lets give that a shot!

View attachment 69043
This is essentially what I need to do to hard wire my new dashcam. It connects through micro-USB and has a provided cigarette lighter adapter. I've seen some people hard wire a lighter socket using an add-a-fuse but I'm not sure how I like that connection for a long-term solution. It seems to me like this 12V->5V converter is the best option. I have very little electronics experience so I want to make absolutely sure I know I'm doing this right before I attempt to connect anything. Which fuse location should I use with the Add-a-Fuse? You say to put stock fuse in the top slot, I'm assuming that would be the fuse that I remove from the fuse box, but what fuse should I put into the bottom slot to run the dashcam? It looks like you have a 7.5A fuse in the slot in the diagram, but how do I know which size is best for the device I'm using?

·
Registered
562 Posts
This is essentially what I need to do to hard wire my new dashcam. It connects through micro-USB and has a provided cigarette lighter adapter. I've seen some people hard wire a lighter socket using an add-a-fuse but I'm not sure how I like that connection for a long-term solution. It seems to me like this 12V->5V converter is the best option. I have very little electronics experience so I want to make absolutely sure I know I'm doing this right before I attempt to connect anything. Which fuse location should I use with the Add-a-Fuse? You say to put stock fuse in the top slot, I'm assuming that would be the fuse that I remove from the fuse box, but what fuse should I put into the bottom slot to run the dashcam? It looks like you have a 7.5A fuse in the slot in the diagram, but how do I know which size is best for the device I'm using?
I am using a the cig adapter you speak of, it has a tight grip on the unit itself. I also wrapped one of those velcro command strip things they have for easy removal and no rattles...definitely recommend some kind of wire management to prevent them thrashing about.

When you buy your add a fuse it will tell you which fuse goes where.

As for the size of the fuse for your dash camera...it depends on the cam to be quiet honest. I did some research on the proper fuse for my camera on dashcamtalk forums. I documented my install a few pages back...I would link it but I'm on tap talk. You can look at what fuse and fuse number I used. If I remember right it was only a 3.5 or 5 for my cam.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Thanks for the write up! Worked like a charm using an add a circuit on fuse 85 with a 3 amp fuse.
Got the RX65 M4 all tucked away
I just did the exact same thing today.

RX65, 3amp fuse added to the 85 fuse.

Worked like an absolute charm on my 2015 ST1.

Much thanks to this thread.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for posting this. My wife found my radar detector so now that the secret is out I can hardwire it. :wink:. Although I think the spiral cord going from the e-brake to the rear view mirror was a discrete look.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Anyone know of any other fuses that have switched power like 85 for heated seats?

I already have my V1 hard wired in but want to Si the same with my dash cam. I tried the power outlet fuse but it seems to stay on all the time.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Has anyone used fuse 61 before? It's stated in the owner's manual that it's for the cigar lighter and rear power outlet. Which I think should also turn off after 10 mins of shutting down the car,

Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone hardwired directly into a wiring harness in the roof of the car? I'm looking to wire up my auto-dimming Homelink mirror and really do not want to run miles of wire down the a-pillar. Are there wiring diagrams available for the Focus ST? Looking to find a ignition 12v+, Ground, and (and if possible) Reverse 12v+

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure if this has been said yet or not but the heated steering wheel circuit on my 2015 ST1 works great for my dash cam. It is switched and turns the cam on and off nicely. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here's my question. Not sure if it's been answered yet as I'm sure I missed a few posts in here, but I needed to hook up an amplifier as well as hardwire my radar. Would I be able to do that all on one add a circuit or would I have to use two different add a circuits? I need switch 12 for my amp and obviously switch 12 for the radar. Any ideas?

221 - 240 of 288 Posts