Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I turned my car on this morning and just happened to get out and notice lots of smoking, it was dark so I couldn’t see if it was white smoke. Took a picture of the coolant after warm and the car was just shut off, exactly in the same climate and condition as a picture a month ago. Coolant was a bit lower but not so much to indicate massive loss and still above minimum. Started cold after work, and had the same smoke again. After about 30 seconds it went to normal exhaust. It was definitely billowing out and over itself, differently than normal exhaust. Oil level is good and not milky, coolants okay for now, temps seem fine, no obvious coolant scent, but I took it straight to the dealer and the tech said to watch for a week or so. It’s 8 months old with 11k miles and bone stock. Only happens on cold start. Hard to tell when driving if it’s exhaust smoke or this whiter smoke because it’s cold enough outside to see exhaust gasses. Am I catching early signs of something bad? Once I get on my computer I can upload the cold starts, below are two screenshots. One is two months ago, second is today. Near same ambient conditions outside.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Looking over that diagram, I am really surprised our o2 sensors are so cheap!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Definitely looks and sounds cold weather related. The car will run richer as its warming up and tends to produce more condensation in the exhaust during the warmup period which would explain why it's heavier when you first start it.

Coolant has an unmistakeable smell. So if it doesn't smell like your ST is serving you waffles and syrup, you're fine! Lol.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You have the wrong car for a blown headgasket.

...and now I'm in the mood for waffles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When we hit negative temps here in STL, I started my ST to warm and scrape it off...

Neighbor asked me two days later if I was out 'Seafoaming' again.

Yeah it will smoke.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Totally normal. It's just your car running rich to warm up the exhaust. As far as I know, the warmup cycle consists of about 30 seconds of the ecu running rich and retarding the spark a huge amount such that it sparks during the exhaust stroke and creates some combustion pre-cat to warm up everything. I have not researched this myself, this is something my tuner friend told me. Since the exhaust is cold and full of regular air, this large temperature gradient is going to cause condensation and will create a large plume of vapor for a little bit. Nothing to worry about, carry on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts