Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning the ST decided to remind me why I hate it. Around 2-3k on hard acceleration car shutters like a bent driveshaft. No CEL, oil pressure, water temp is good. Torque cant find a code on the damn thing. Any one have any general direction guess's? Car is pissing me off and dealer cant get to it till Monday. Hoping to save some money by figuring it out before then

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
So this morning the ST decided to remind me why I hate it. Around 2-3k on hard acceleration car shutters like a bent driveshaft. No CEL, oil pressure, water temp is good. Torque cant find a code on the damn thing. Any one have any general direction guess's? Car is pissing me off and dealer cant get to it till Monday. Hoping to save some money by figuring it out before then
Is it when slipping the clutch, and could the clutch be glazed in some spots creating an uneven engagement? Also is the vibration when slipping the clutch to accelerate or when it's completely engaged then you give it gas?

·
Super Moderator
8,498 Posts
Do you have factory motor mounts? I'd check to make sure the bushings are still intact.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,170 Posts
Do you have factory motor mounts? I'd check to make sure the bushings are still intact.
Recently a member with cheap mounts had his bushings completely disintegrate. Which I would imagine would cause such a thing as this especially with the power associated with those rpms.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mounts are stock. This is when foot is off clutch, clutch engagement still feels firm Will take a look at the bushings, I have beat on the thing, bushings would make sense and be an excuse to upgrade! Will double check tire pressure, tires are shot, new AS3's next week, will double check rims, make sure none of the balance weights have come off and they look true.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would be the best way to diagnose each mount? I get if they are falling apart or bolts are loose, but is there anything else to check for to verify it is a mount or not?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sooo... After becoming convinced it was the motor mounts ordered motor mounts from JBR... And since I had been meaning to replace the spark plugs and I had the hood up anyways. Replaced them- The cylinder to the left facing the windshield, ****! Plug was broken. The side insulator had broken off. Don't know why it did not throw a code. Taking it in tomorrow to the dealer to see if they can inspect the engine and hoping for that mythical chance that the damn thing didn't damage my engine. So on the plus side, one problem solved, on the other side, a new one.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Yuck we are all thinking of spark plug pieces getting crunched about within the engine. To say something positive possibly the ceramic plugs are made of will simply grind into dust under engine pressures.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tune is Stratified-I dont have any reason to believe it was the tune, tune has been the only thing keeping me in this car- Hoping for the best, bracing for the worst.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
What plugs did you have in, if you don't mind us asking?

Glad you found the root cause!

All the best,
Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts