Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i'm new to this whole forum. I hear a lot about pistons breaking so I was just wondering should i go with hardened pistons before going to deep in modification. if i don't what types of things would you guys say is safe to do. i'm thinking about getting a focus st, but i just want to know what i'm getting into before i do that. Thanks for whoever answers my question.

·
Administrator
11,896 Posts
hey, i'm new to this whole forum. I hear a lot about pistons breaking so I was just wondering should i go with hardened pistons before going to deep in modification. if i don't what types of things would you guys say is safe to do. i'm thinking about getting a focus st, but i just want to know what i'm getting into before i do that. Thanks for whoever answers my question.
Well some motors just seem to pop, but for the most part the engines are good to around 430-ish whp. So stage three (275-ish whp) has never been a problem for a properly maintained ST.

Once you start going big turbo and pushing into aux fuel, then it becomes more of a concern.

If you find yourself in a quandary again, don't forget that we have a site specific google search bar at the top-ish right of every page.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Main thing is to make sure your tune is on point and monitor it at all times.
Yup. Monitor, monitor, monitor! People on here that recommend people to "install the tune then throw the AP3 somewhere since you don't need it" are crazy. Blow a motor and you're pretty screwed out of a warranty already...why wouldn't you want to watch it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well some motors just seem to pop, but for the most part the engines are good to around 430-ish whp. So stage three (275-ish whp) has never been a problem for a properly maintained ST.

Once you start going big turbo and pushing into aux fuel, then it becomes more of a concern.

If you find yourself in a quandary again, don't forget that we have a site specific google search bar at the top-ish right of every page.

thank but would e30 has any issue

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Yup. Monitor, monitor, monitor! People on here that recommend people to "install the tune then throw the AP3 somewhere since you don't need it" are crazy. Blow a motor and you're pretty screwed out of a warranty already...why wouldn't you want to watch it?
what would you say is best to monitor, Ignition correction, or knock count?
Since my OAR has been pegged at -1 I've been monitoring boost, AFR, and ign correction 1-4

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Since my OAR has been pegged at -1 I've been monitoring boost, AFR, and ign correction 1-4
Ignition correction. Knock count will tell you how many perceived knocks it sees but the correction will show where/when its happening.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Ignition correction. Knock count will tell you how many perceived knocks it sees but the correction will show where/when its happening.
Good logic. I will keep mine as it is then.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Yup, just like @SIstomper said. I monitor exactly what you monitor. Boost, AFR, and ign correction 1-4. Good man.

Reactions: kewing

·
Registered
2016 ST1, FBO, GTX2867R Gen2 .64-AR, Spec stage 2 clutch, Quaife LSD, Fortune Auto 500 coil-overs.
328 Posts
no you should be fine although if finances arnt an issue it would be a great preventative. stay on top of service, use full synthetic, top tier gasoline and always monitor your accessport. id also suggest you start with a simple stage 1 build and go straight into a LSD which is something i regret not doing (kust my opinion) ...all in all the 2.0 ecoboost is a great reliable engine and most failures can be chalked up to pure negligence or over building without consideration and not addressing component weaknesses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts