Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not for that price. I've seen plenty of new RS1 go for 35-36k.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
No one here can tell you whether it would be wise to go for a used RS, you'll get all kinds of people saying 'do it', but it is easy spending other peoples money. Personally, that is one of the most uninspiring colors the industry offers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which locations are we talking about here? Because i am willing to drive for a New RS for that price range.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's alot of questions... Any problems with the current car? Do you owe money on the ST and/or mind continuing to pay a note on the RS? Are you looking to upgrade for looks or the power? Really it's all about want you want, if you can afford it and WANT it, then do it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That is true. The color kind of puts me off. I was looking into the blue ones but, this one just caught my eye because of the price. I am just getting frustrated on the performance mods we can add on our ST and, it's not really yielding that much difference.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It seems overpriced to me.

The ST gives great performance for the $$ and you can up the power substantially with a moderate investment. The real question is if you should spend the money upgrading your ST, or just buy the big brother that already offers the performance you want.

It's not all roses, though. The running costs on the RS are higher than the ST because all the consumables are more expensive. The 5W-50 oil, RDU fluid+additive, dramatically higher fuel consumption, and the fact you can't use regular unleaded ever (don't use it in your ST either, it sucks... but it works) all add up. Insurance can be higher too depending on where you are; my insurance only went up by $8.00/mo when I upgraded.

I made the jump and I don't regret it one bit. YMMV.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Which locations are we talking about here? Because i am willing to drive for a New RS for that price range.
You can do inventory searches on Ford's website. Now that the limited has been announced dealers are going to want to move RS's to make room/show they can sell them so they can get a limited on the lot. What I'm getting at is, you can probably get a new 2017 RS1 for that price this summer with enough research, even an RS2 will probably be marked down below 40k at some point. It seems like dealer markups are higher out west, in the east in NJ I saw an RS2 for 45k and an RS1 for 39k so there wasn't much dealer markup on these at all compared the 45k RS1s and 50k+ RS2s I've seen people on here talking about out west in CA

Reactions: batsoy19

·
Registered
917 Posts
Reactions: batsoy19

·
Registered
408 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for. For purely fun the RS beats the ST. The ST is the better daily driver (and value) though.
They are losing value as well. A local guy here just picked up a 17 ST3 for 22 out the door.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
My son-inlaw got a quote a week or so ago of $35,900, OTD would be $39,109.60. He hasn't pulled the trigger yet but we're going down there this weekend and I'm going to let him drive the ST, to get the juices flowing. You know, to be a good supportive father-inlaw :haha:

Down in San Diego. Kerry or something like that. Good luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It depends on what your goals are. When I got my ST the RS was not out yet and I didn't want to wait. I have since modified the ST quite a bit, including a BT and this has really changed the character of my ST to suit my taste. I could not justify selling the ST and going with an RS as not only would I lose money on the ST but I will then have to spend more money on the RS to modify to taste again.

If you are stock and can sell your ST for a decent amount and get an RS for cheap then I would definitely do that. If not then I wouldn't bother. Also look at your anticipated usage. It's like WRX vs STI. If you track it every weekend and beat the crap out of it obviously STI. But if you are never going to see a track and seldom do mountain runs then you won't truly experience what the RS has to offer.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys for the input. I am going to give myself a week to decide whether to keep the ST or, upgrade to a new RS.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
744 Posts
Like others have said, it all depends on what you're using the car for. If you go to the track a lot or drive like a lunatic every second that you're on the road, sure, go for the RS. If you're using the ST as a DD primarily and rarely go to the track, the RS, in my opinion, is a waste of ~$10k. Since the interior is the same as the 16/17 ST's (with very little differences from even the 13-15's), the only thing that you're really getting with that extra $10-15k is the 2.3L and AWD, both of which people have been having problems with. I originally regretted getting my ST whenever I tried to launch from a stand-still. Now with COBB's TC and new front+rear lower stress bars, I barely ever loose traction, even when launching the car. The FWD is more than good enough to deal with NJ snow with proper snow tires, and I never go to the track. To me, AWD isn't worth $10k and the decrease in MPG but that's just me.

Also, do yourself a favor, if you currently pay for the ST, don't go for the RS unless you're very situated financially. Don't put yourself in a financial hole for five years just for a few extra smiles per day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts