Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
0% is free money no matter how long the loan period and you can always pay it faster if you want. Just get the car and enjoy life.
I agree. I'd like to say I'd do it. However, I don't know that I'd ever spend that much for an RS. Even though I would really love to get one!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wouldn't throw around the term "free" too loosely when talking about a 40k focus...sure, you won't pay any extra in financing but you're still buying a 40k focus. I personally couldn't live with that as 40k would open the doors to a lot of great cars that would probably suit my lifestyle better as a DD but at the end of the day, it's your money and you have the right to spend it however makes you happy.

Just don't try to justify it with claims of "free money" lol...ain't nuthin free in this world, son!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Have made a few trips to a few different dealerships to see about trading my '13 focus ST in for a '17 RS...

Shall I take the plunge or is it a waste of money? (I still have 2 years left of payments on my ST ~ approx 13,000$ - They offered to pay it outright for me and finance a 2017 RS for me for @0% for 72 months).
The ST has 108,000KM on it, only like 1500$ in modifications and runs perfectly. (Needs new tires soon that's about it).

I'm having a really really tough time deciding whether I want to go ahead with this trade in or not :(
Is your ST worth less than what you owe? If so, do what they are offering. Just make sure they are not marking up the RS like assholes. If the ST is worth less than what you owe you are winning there. But if the RS is marked up way too much, then it's a waste. 0% for 72 months is an awesome deal (low monthly payments).

·
Registered
387 Posts
The dealership is certainly getting something out of it. Doing a quick estimate they are slightly below or at expected trade in for your ST depending on options. That's a decent deal, you might of been able to get better but whatever.

Considering you said your payment will be ~$270US biweekly that means you will be paying a total of 270*2*72 $38401USD or $50976 CAD.

They've also been selling for below sticker for months now, for example mine was about $3k USD under it's $40k sticker price so depending on your options (RS2 which is $40kUSD or RS1 which us $35-36k USD) you are either getting an average deal (which is good) or paying slightly above what you could. Again, the dealer is making something out of this so I would run the numbers yourself and see what you can do, but I think I am a bit late on that advice.

Either way enjoy the car.

·
Registered
862 Posts
They actually offered me 12,500$ for the car which APPARENTLY is 14,200$ because of *tax savings* on the RS....So in actuality that remaining 500$ will transfer over to the new vehicle increasing my payment from 350.60$ to 354$ bi weekly...
So roughly a 3.5$ increase on my payments.
Wow that's a lot in payments, I was paying 360 a month for my focus

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do not take a 72 month loan. Try to get 60 at the most. Cars are a depreciating asset. 72 months is way too long to sit on a car for. Even though the 72 months might get you a lower per month payment you are there to purchase a car, not purchase a payment.
makes no sense if there is no early pay off penalty. At zero % you should take 10 years if you could and. make the payments you can afford.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do not take a 72 month loan. Try to get 60 at the most. Cars are a depreciating asset. 72 months is way too long to sit on a car for. Even though the 72 months might get you a lower per month payment you are there to purchase a car, not purchase a payment.
makes no sernse if there is no early pay off penalty. At zero % you should take 10 years if you could and. make the payments you can afford.
There is no such thing as a true 0% loan unless it is from a friend, family, etc. If it is not a manufacturer loan, the op is getting poked somewhere.

In order to get the interest rate down to 0%, the dealer will need to prepay all of the interest cost directly to the lender.

I hope the op was very careful in heavily scrutinizing all the details and best of times enjoying the car if all works out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is no such thing as a true 0% loan unless it is from a friend, family, etc. If it is not a manufacturer loan, the op is getting poked somewhere.

In order to get the interest rate down to 0%, the dealer will need to prepay all of the interest cost directly to the lender.

I hope the op was very careful in heavily scrutinizing all the details and best of times enjoying the car if all works out.
Maybe it's a loan from Ford Credit. I got 0% from Ford Credit on my ST but it was a 2016 purchased January this year.

I bought a new 2011 GSX-R750 for $11000 OTD which included tax, licence, setup etc. MSRP on the bike was $12200. Then Suzuki gave me 0% for 48 months.
Sometimes vehicle manufacturers will give good deals to move product. Although in the case of an RS, that doesn't seem likely.

·
Registered
86 Posts
0% rarely is.. in their mind 0.15% or more they claim is 0%. You know the $16 for every thousand in the fine print.

That's still $60/mon in interest - hardly free. Or more once they roll old 10K into the 40K.. now you have yourself a nice $50K car.. that's worth.. 30K.
That's a somewhat common misconception. $16 per $1000 financed is for a 0% 60 month loan. $1000 divided by 60 is $16. My 0% loan is actually 0%. It's the total amount of the loan divided by 60 months which is the same thing is saying $16/month per $1000 financed.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
That's a somewhat common misconception. $16 per $1000 financed is for a 0% 60 month loan. $1000 divided by 60 is $16. My 0% loan is actually 0%. It's the total amount of the loan divided by 60 months which is the same thing is saying $16/month per $1000 financed.
Beyond that with average inflation rate around 3% historically(not so much the previous few years) they're paying you money. The only downside is the tax on a new vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

41 - 56 of 56 Posts