Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a 2014 Ford Focus ST with the st3 package for sale, it has 29,000 miles on it. However, the big caveat is the rebuilt title, which is from a collision. I have talked to the dealership as well as the mechanic who checked everything out, and there are no perceivable problems. The car is being offered for $12,495. Is this a good deal? Should I jump for it? Please help, I am a college student who can't afford to make a bad purchase.

EDIT: Here is the link to the cars.com page: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/699250632/overview/

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Is there a link to the ST in question? What was the extent of the damage to cause it being rebuilt?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
what year is it too?

IF its for sale at a dealership it should have a warranty.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That is a ST2 package, it does not have full leather seats. plus you can also tell by the E-brake setup.

Hopefully it was something minor and nothing that affected the frame. That is one hell of a good deal tho!!! Good luck with the buy!

·
Registered
134 Posts
My opinion, not intelligent. You already said you're a college student who can't afford a bad purchase, so listen to yourself and buy a cheap Honda for half the price or less while you're in school. Once you graduate and get a job, then look for a toy like this. You don't need even a $12k car while you don't have a real job and you're teaching yourself poor money management decisions. This is coming from someone who has made their share of bad decisions in the past due to desire for a car.

Pros:
Get an ST for cheap that might be very well rebuilt and in great shape.

Cons:
More expensive than you need to spend either way as admitted by yourself
Could end up with never ending problems and be a money pit
Will be next to impossible to unload for any decent value if you end up in a bad situation and need cash

·
Registered
445 Posts
My opinion, not intelligent. You already said you're a college student who can't afford a bad purchase, so listen to yourself and buy a cheap Honda for half the price or less while you're in school. Once you graduate and get a job, then look for a toy like this. You don't need even a $12k car while you don't have a real job and you're teaching yourself poor money management decisions. This is coming from someone who has made their share of bad decisions in the past due to desire for a car.

Pros:
Get an ST for cheap that might be very well rebuilt and in great shape.

Cons:
More expensive than you need to spend either way as admitted by yourself
Could end up with never ending problems and be a money pit
Will be next to impossible to unload for any decent value if you end up in a bad situation and need cash
I think this is good advise.

While picking up a ST for <$12k sounds like a good deal, this particular ST could be hiding some issues you just don't have the resources to deal with right now.

When I was in college my car died during my last term of clinicals (RN), and I ended up getting a '04 Impala for $3k.

Got me through to graduation and I was able to purchase a new '16 ST3 after I got my job situation in order.

Just hang on, get an inexpensive ride that'll get you through graduation and then pick up your ST when you're established.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Luckily I am working a full-time job and am in my last year. I am just someone who was raised to be paranoid about every monetary decision I make. I willl take all of this advice into consideration! Thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you are paranoid about every monetary decision you make, then this should be setting all kinds of sirens off in your head lol. I personally wouldn't buy it. It's an amazing price, but if you're luck is anything like mine, it'll be garbage and will cost you a fortune and won't be able to unload it. I might be what you would call a pessimist, but its saved me from some pretty big headaches in the past lol.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you know what damage was done and are sure it was fixed. You have a job, your in your last year. Remember 90? of this car is unbolt damage areas bolt on new and paint. As long as no frame damage then what ever glitches there may have will most likely not be from the accident. The ad you posted shows a base st not a st3. I had damage done to my ST3 was rear ended, had it fixed at a very good shop and it's good to go. If your the type of guy that never takes chances then it's not for you!!

·
Premium Member
13,920 Posts
If you know what damage was done and are sure it was fixed. You have a job, your in your last year. Remember 90? of this car is unbolt damage areas bolt on new and paint. As long as no frame damage then what ever glitches there may have will most likely not be from the accident. The ad you posted shows a base st not a st3. I had damage done to my ST3 was rear ended, had it fixed at a very good shop and it's good to go. If your the type of guy that never takes chances then it's not for you!!
Second picture shows its an ST2.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Luckily I am working a full-time job and am in my last year. I am just someone who was raised to be paranoid about every monetary decision I make. I willl take all of this advice into consideration! Thank you!
You know, I don't know why I just assumed you to be a full time student with a part time job. I guess I was just thinking back to when I was in school, so I apologize! But still, I'd say that if you can't afford to make a bad decision, then look for something that's a sure GOOD decision rather than one that's questionable.

As a related story... When I got my first job out of college I bought myself a 97 Mustang GT. It was my first car of my own because I never had one in HS and didn't need one on campus at college. I went to a local meet up at a bar one time and two people came out with 03/04 Cobras. For those who aren't familiar with Mustangs, those were THE Mustang to have. Supercharged from the factory, IRS, etc. This was before the GT500. I remember seeing them and thinking "Man, I wish I could afford one of those some day!". Not even 2 years later, I had one in my driveway. My point being, don't push it and you'll get there faster than you realize. Also, that was not one of the bad decisions I mentioned earlier regarding cars, that would have been when I sold the GT and the Cobra for a 335i. I still kick myself for getting rid of that Cobra. At least I actually made $2k on it!

·
Super Moderator
9,808 Posts
Price has already been lowered from what you listed in the original post; tells me they know it is not worth the money and are trying to unload it. Caveat emptor!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Not what you are going to want to hear, but just let your excitement settle and forget about this one. I can gauruntee you this will end up putting you in a bad spot and I just don't want that to happen to you man.

If you made 40 or 50k a year, I'd say go for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts