Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

New to the forum but not new to the car community(raced Subarus for 10 years and just got done building my boosted vette). Looking for a fun daily driver. Please see the focus listed below. I might be able to talk the price down a bit, who knows. I don't know very much about the Focus STs. Are there any note worthy changes between years? Thanks!

https://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/6150260194.html

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Concerning the base unit, there are no major changes to the ST other than a face-lift, and a couple technical glitches corrected. The asking price seems a bit high. Make a great daily driver, and it's mod-friendly.
Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feed back. KBB is telling me that this car is valued at about $16K so I figured if I could talk them down a bit it would be a decent deal. I plan to tune the car cause it appears, just like with my previous Subarus, that the stock tune isn't all that great. Again, going for reliability not necessarily power. What basic mods do you guys recommend for reliability or to remove bugs?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for the feed back. KBB is telling me that this car is valued at about $16K so I figured if I could talk them down a bit it would be a decent deal. I plan to tune the car cause it appears, just like with my previous Subarus, that the stock tune isn't all that great. Again, going for reliability not necessarily power. What basic mods do you guys recommend for reliability or to remove bugs?
Tune and a better rear motor mount and you'll have a fun and reliable daily. Of course seeing what you've owned you'll probably get bit by the mod bug as soon as the tune is on since its a game changer for the car lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I'm sure you're right! I might track the ST, so probably a catch can, E85 and some brake/suspension upgrades. lol

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Look into the Ford racing tune for reliability. Adds gobs of torque and makes it a perfect daily driver.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lots of people may disagree...but just like any car, they get better as the model years go on. I have seen a 14/15 side by side (both ST3's in the same color even), wished mine was the 15. I also wouldn't by a base, the Recaro seats alone are worth the extra money

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Lots of people may disagree...but just like any car, they get better as the model years go on. I have seen a 14/15 side by side (both ST3's in the same color even), wished mine was the 15. I also wouldn't by a base, the Recaro seats alone are worth the extra money
Spot on. I dislike the 15+ look. I think compacter got to that model. I do however love the st3 lights on them.

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
I would stay clear of the ST and Fords in general unless leasing, otherwise there is a good chance you will be stuck trying to sell a car with problems. Check engine light that cannot be solved after 14k miles is a new record for me, but guys have gotten it in less than 1k miles!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would stay clear of the ST and Fords in general unless leasing, otherwise there is a good chance you will be stuck trying to sell a car with problems. Check engine light that cannot be solved after 14k miles is a new record for me, but guys have gotten it in less than 1k miles!
Lololol there will always be issues with any car for a handful. Fix it, or sell it. Not being mean just that's how cars work. What's done is done. I beat the living **** out of my 13 at the track a lot and it holds up like a champ after 40k miles. And that's just what i put on it. The original owner put 22k on it ^_^.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're saying it's worth $15K? If so, I agree and think that would be a great price to pay if I can talk them down that much.

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Lololol there will always be issues with any car for a handful. Fix it, or sell it. Not being mean just that's how cars work. What's done is done. I beat the living **** out of my 13 at the track a lot and it holds up like a champ after 40k miles. And that's just what i put on it. The original owner put 22k on it ^_^.
Easy for you to laugh at others' misfortune? It remains to be seen if anyone can find the fix, but Ford has not. I've owned 8 other cars, all used, so I am familiar with the options of fix it or sell it. What I'm unfamiliar with is my cars getting a check engine light under 100k miles, let alone 50k, or only 15k, or 500. But I've never owned a Ford before. At least I can give it back at end of lease if they don't find a fix. Glad you're enjoying yours, hope you don't crash.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm not sure if you have seen the newer one's (2015-2017). But IMO they look a lot more aggressive and just mature. They have the same front design as the focus RS, different bumper covers, but looks pretty similar. There's the facelift and a few small things here and there that were changed with the new body. But ultimately its the same car. It's still a great car, but thought if you could find a used newer one, you might like it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. I finally have some time to go check it out. Any recommended tests or specific things to look at? Figured I would eye ball the rear engine mount. Other than that just normal testing. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Just be aware of the awesome torque steer this car has in abundance. It's overwhelming for some drivers the first time they experience it. Hold on tight to the steering wheel when you floor it. :wink:
Good luck.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Thanks everybody. Ended up buying the car. She will make a really fun daily driver!
Congrats man. You'll definitely enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts