Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am currently looking at purchasing a white ST with 28k on the odo. This is the second one I've driven and it seemed A LOT faster than the first one. It's a 2015 with what sounds like an aftermarket BOV. I also spotted and intake and some questionable exhaust work.

Dealer is asking 18k and it's a 2015 with backup cam, no other options.

Can anyone ID this intake and give some feedback on this exhaust job. It looks really sketchy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
If they didn't have the filter on all the way and the exhaust is that shoddy, I'd stay away personally. Apparently the previous owner didn't care much about the car. Also mods on this platform will not do anything until you tune for it. So it it indeed faster it "may" be tuned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the intake popped off after i drove it. :p - i'm coming from a mustang, buying a previously tuned car means you can't re-tune it because the factory strategy is lost. Is it the same with these cars? I definitely think this car is tuned.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Yeah you can re-tune it, no problems at all.

Reactions: phee

·
Registered
524 Posts
If the car is tuned, and doesn't come with the accessport, then yes the stock tune is lost. You should still be able to retune it though

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
It's got pretty low miles, so even if it has been driven hard I personally wouldn't be too worried about it. You can always put a different exhaust on it if you want. The intake looks like a JBR or Cobb intake without the the stickers put on. Looks like they just put on a generic K&N filter or something similar. As far as the tune goes you can always retune, but if it has a tune on it currently with no SCT or AP or whatever on it I don't know that you can get the factory tune back, not that you would want it anyway. For the money it seems like a good deal. What you may consider is bringing it to a mechanic you trust to have them look at everything just so you can figure out everything that has been done and they may be able to tell if it has been really beaten on or not. Like I said though, with only 28k and plenty of powertrain warranty I wouldn't be too worried about it personally. Many of us drive our STs hard on a daily basis with no issues, it's what the car was made for. As long as they changed the oil regularly that shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck, let us know what you do.

Reactions: phee

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Compression testing would be first on the list. Second would be the tune, if you have no idea what tune or who tuned it, get one yourself from a reputable tuner and install it yourself via access port. Address the cold air-intake and exhaust when you get some monies.
Find a professional mechanic or someone you trust to go over the engine with you.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
28k miles in 1 year?
I'm currently putting 80 miles a day on my car going to work, totally doable. I bought my 14' with only 15,800 on it and in 2 months I'm at 22,300. Quite depressing actually.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I paid 21.5k for a 2016. Brand new. Just look for the deals and try to buy new

·
Registered
226 Posts
I bought used too but what I liked best was it was totally stock. Now modding doesn't necessarily hurt the car but it makes me question how it was driven. I guess all you can do it take a detailed test drive and have a mechanic lookover the car.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
If you can forgo leather seats and MyFordTouch, the cost of a new ST1 is only a few thousand more than what is being asked for this car.

Just based on the exhaust and intake, it's clear the previous owner did things... "cost effectively".

Assuming there is a tune on the car, if there is no handheld you'll need to spend $500 for a new Cobb Accessport from a tuner like Stratified/Mountune/Freektune etc. with one of the off-the-shelf tune sets programmed for the car's mods. Now the price gap is tighter.

Like others have said, I wouldn't touch it without doing a compression test after the motor has reached operating temperature.

Hope that helps, but "keep looking" might be your better option here...

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I am actually with everyone else here on the concept that a new ST can be had for nearly that price, 28K less miles, less unknown hard driving damage, and not knowing what sort of "mods" we actually done. That exhaust looks shady as hell, looks like they TRIED to make a ghost pipe but failed miserably. I would also question things like the compression test, if the filter was on that loose, who says the other owner didn't drive around for a couple thousand miles with it loose and sucked all sorts of fun stuff into the block/turbo.

Reactions: LMStone510

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The guys that say their used cars were AHEM....."stock". crack me up.

Listen up, IT MAY HAVE BEEN STOCK WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT, BUT YOU CANNOT SAY IT WAS STOCK WHEN IT WAS SOLD.

Sorry, had to yell that.

As far as the OP, stay away, you can buy new for close to that for just a few k more. Or at the very least, something with less miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The biggest thing that would worry me is if the air filter popped off for you, and you found it by popping the hood, how many time has that happened and the owner never lifted the hood. and just kept driving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts