Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about getting a 2016 ford st and wondering if it is a good vehicle to go with. Like how many miles do they last and do they have alot of issues or what to look for in finding a good one I'm just not sure I've never owned a ford

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Shadow Black, E30, MonsterFMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' ShiftBushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
2,753 Posts
My first Ford too, similar reliability to other cars I've owned. I do read up and try to avoid lemon cars though.

They're reliable if you take care of them. Some people manage to blow motors or have trans issues less than 50,000 while others go 200,000 or more with few problems.

Get a compression test done, and a prebuy inspection from a shop familiar with them.

Read up on LSPI - don't floor it in higher gears at lower speeds.
Always use SN+ or SP synthetic oil and don't let it go longer like a non-turbo port injection car.

Need an aftermarket FMIC for consistent power if you want to run it hard.

Purge valve might not last long, but this is a problem with other cars too and is relatively easy and cheap to replace.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Was thinking about getting a 2016 ford st and wondering if it is a good vehicle to go with. Like how many miles do they last and do they have alot of issues or what to look for in finding a good one I'm just not sure I've never owned a ford
Most Focus ST seem to end their lives in wrecks rather than via mechanical failure.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST1
4 Posts
I bought one in 2020, and have loved it very much. I was driving a 15-passenger Ford E350 van, so it feels nimble. :) Seriously, the only car I've had that compares is '99 Integra (that I should never have sold). Focus ST is a wonderful car. Is it the fastest? No. But it's plenty fast, looks good, and is very practical. It's just fun every time I get behind the wheel. If you like to drive, it's terrific. It's easy to forget that it is FWD. For most people, like my wife, that view a car as an appliance, well, I could see the Focus ST as a bit of a beating sometimes, because you have to be actively engaged every single time. For me, that's a feature, not a bug. But I love driving. I'm 55 years old, going on 17.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST1
4 Posts
As far as what to watch for, well, oil change history. Recommended 10k miles is not frequent enough, in my opinion. At least every 5k is more sensible. If it has mods, you have to be a bit careful, people that add mods generally drive hard, but that varies a lot. If it has had regular oil changes, and wasn't totally whipped, these are pretty dang reliable cars. If you are talking to the previous owner, try to find out if they used top-tier gas, that's worthwhile. I don't really know of any common, systematic failure with these cars, if treated well. They do like to be driven with spirit, so to speak, but some do get thrashed.

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
933 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with it.

Corrosion resistance is good on these cars all things considered. Paint coat holds up fairly well. Check where the rear bumper meets the rear quarter panel.

Stock powertrain will last a long time.
Modded, it will require work and likely a new turbo for higher mile cars.
Like All GDI engines, clean your valves every 40,000 miles.

If you plan on tracking it, plan on struts+springs or coilovers as well as some swaybar set up.
Daily, just wheel bearings around 160,000 miles and front control arms around 110,000 (good life for a daily car)

All that said, Right out the box its a great car with good MPG and plenty of cargo space. It has the power to move and the reliability to daily drive for years. Stock handling is daily comfort with a balance of sport. EPS steering is very nice.

Start moding it and its a different story. Not to mention, once you start, good luck stopping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts