Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some advice needed,

I am in the process of upgrading my 2010 focus st3 to the newer model St3 65 plate, I kept thinking the price was to good to be true, the dealear assures me the mileage on the car is 18904 which is reasonable for a car registered from 1st Dec 2015 till now.
However with the price niggling away at me a carried out some checks as I was convinced the car must have been in some accident.
To my benefit the checks came back that the car had no losses registered against it however the 3rd check I done raised a mileage concern.
The first two check I done gave no mileage concerns however the 3rd check I done says that the car was registered as having done 35461 miles at march 2016.
This is a huge difference from the 18094 on the clock.
This means that from December 2015 till march 2016 3 months the car travelled 35461 miles is this even possible in 3 months????
The car was a business lease previously and as much as I'm telling myself its not possible I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.
It means that the person who had the car if worked mon to Fri must have done 600 miles a day for 3 months does this seem crazy and am I right or wrong to believe the dealer that it is only 18094.???

·
Registered
825 Posts
It may be an error. Or a cheat. Hard to say unless you investigate better.
I had an error on the odometer report at a smog test station.
At the time they refused to fix it. and claimed it 'did not matter'. Yet later it was a big deal.
The only thing saving me was a note I had demanded from the smog station supervisor
stating the odo reading was an error, and the correct mileage.
Without that I was screwed.
Perhaps they also know about this, and have no recourse to fix it?
And that may be the reason for the lower price. As it IS a problem which may alwys haunt you..
until the car ha a lot more miles on it.
Or it may be the odo was turned back?

I suggest you do more research and find out who gave it the higher miles?
Like I mentioned, some places just do not care.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Is it possible to still roll the odo back with all the computers and sensors and government trackers in all new cars?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd say it's entirely possible. There was a guy where I used to work who commuted 125 miles ONE WAY five days a week. He had a good paying job there and his wife didn't want to move closer to work.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'd say it's entirely possible. There was a guy where I used to work who commuted 125 miles ONE WAY five days a week. He had a good paying job there and his wife didn't want to move closer to work.
giphy.gif

Care to complete the story so it ties in with rolling the odometer back?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Some advice needed,

I am in the process of upgrading my 2010 focus st3 to the newer model St3 65 plate, I kept thinking the price was to good to be true, the dealear assures me the mileage on the car is 18904 which is reasonable for a car registered from 1st Dec 2015 till now.
However with the price niggling away at me a carried out some checks as I was convinced the car must have been in some accident.
To my benefit the checks came back that the car had no losses registered against it however the 3rd check I done raised a mileage concern.
The first two check I done gave no mileage concerns however the 3rd check I done says that the car was registered as having done 35461 miles at march 2016.
This is a huge difference from the 18094 on the clock.
This means that from December 2015 till march 2016 3 months the car travelled 35461 miles is this even possible in 3 months????
The car was a business lease previously and as much as I'm telling myself its not possible I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.
It means that the person who had the car if worked mon to Fri must have done 600 miles a day for 3 months does this seem crazy and am I right or wrong to believe the dealer that it is only 18094.???
Does the odometer reading show:
Dec 2015: 18094
Mar 2016: 35461
?

If so, the car traveled 17367 miles in that time frame. Which would be about 190 miles per day over 3 months. Still excessive, but not the 600 miles per day that you originally calculated.

Also, check to see if the vehicle mileage was in Kilometers or Miles, which would make a significant difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no it shows 18094 as of now, Aug 2017, However a history report shows 35461 as of MAr 2016 car registerd Dec 2015 soo 600 was right as I said.

·
Registered
181 Posts
no it shows 18094 as of now, Aug 2017, However a history report shows 35461 as of MAr 2016 car registerd Dec 2015 soo 600 was right as I said.
If that's the case, then pass on the car. Here in the USA, it would get flagged on Autocheck or CarFax as an odometer problem. Don't make this particular car your potential problem. And don't do business with someone trying to get you to accept it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
It's possible the owner has the odometer listed in kilometers, or switched from miles to kilometers during that time period. 35k km is 22k miles - 4k miles put on in 4 months isn't much. My own ST has this quirk with its warranty history since I keep my odometer in km, but my dealer just sees a number and reads it as miles. Mine goes from 5k miles to "26k miles" within one year, then to "35k miles", and then to "29k miles".

Usually rolling back an odometer is worth the time, hassle, and risk if it's actually a rare and valuable car. The Focus... is a Focus. I'd be shocked if someone went through that much trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts