Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed the Steeda Short shift arm, shifts are perfect now, but when I go into reverse I have to pull up on the reverse lockout to get out of reverse and go back into neutral. It's not a deal breaker for me (just slightly annoying) Is there any fix for this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's a PITA, but you will need to remove the center console to expose the guts of the shifter. From reading others post about similar issues, they needed to trim some plastic away so that they had full range of movement of the components.

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
I recently installed the Steeda Short shift arm, shifts are perfect now, but when I go into reverse I have to pull up on the reverse lockout to get out of reverse and go back into neutral. It's not a deal breaker for me (just slightly annoying) Is there any fix for this? Thanks in advance.
It's a PITA, but you will need to remove the center console to expose the guts of the shifter. From reading others post about similar issues, they needed to trim some plastic away so that they had full range of movement of the components.
Actually you should be able to do it by just removing the shifter boot. Not totally removing it, but just popping it's holding trim all away around, then pulling it up so it's all floppy around the shift knob. So you can see your shifter in action with the reverse collar installed.

What shift knob are you running?

You are either having lockout gate alignment issues, which is most likely. Or your shift knob is too low, causing the reverse lockout collar to sit too low, thus causing you to lift to exit the reverse channel.

If it's gate alignment, it will be quite apparent when you observe the action with the shift boot popped up, yet still on the knob/shift arm.

In that case, a snip with some diagonals would fix the problem, by opening the entrance to the reverse channel larger in the needed direction.

This is assuming that there was no error installing the shifter. Like if the base bushings or inserts were missing or something to that effect, causing the entire shifter assemble to sit lower. Which is pretty unlikely, but possible

Maybe I can get a potato video of it after work today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, awesome. I'll take a look with the shift booth up to see if I can see anything catching on it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I had the same issue after installing my FRPP short shifter. The lockout needed no modification. The shift boot was interfering with the lockout. If I pulled the boot away from the lockout, I would not have any issues. However, it would eventually work its way back to interfering. Swapped the boot for a shorter boot from Redline Goods. Problem solved.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
I had the same issue after installing my FRPP short shifter. The lockout needed no modification. The shift boot was interfering with the lockout. If I pulled the boot away from the lockout, I would not have any issues. However, it would eventually work its way back to interfering. Swapped the boot for a shorter boot from Redline Goods. Problem solved.
Yes, normally that issue accompanies a shorter height shift lever. Causing the shifter boot to become saggy and actually hang up on the reverse lockout/block the reverse channel.

iirc the steeda is stock height though, i forget, maybe i should check my sticky, lmao!

So if the steeda is stock height, the shift boot shouldnt interfere. The boot would make entering the channel harder as well, which the OP did not state.

I run a boomba and redline 1.8" if my memory serves me right. Its been flawless in regards to reverse action.

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
I fixed it!!! I had to cut half of this tab, now it snaps back into neutral like it used to.
Indeed, that is the reverse lockout channel as mentioned.

I'm glad it got sorted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts