Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i searched and saw a lot of comparisons between the shift arms (like BREEDT vs Cobb)..but not really anything comparing getting the shift plate vs the entire shift arm.

On a local group I posted that I got the Hurst shift plate and some cable bushings (sitting on my counter, not installed yet but prob will tomorrow). But I get an overwhelming amount of comments to say 'junk the plate' and 'replace the arm'. Why? Most people are not very constructive in their criticism, they just state their opinion but don't embellish.

I'm guessing because a 'plate' on the factory arm seems 'ghetto rigged' or 'cheap'. But if it works, its a quality part, it shortens the throw, whats the big deal? My guess is its not AS much of a shortened throw maybe, or ppl are just worried that it isn't as 'proper' to drop in a plate. I've heard bs about the added weight, thats stupid. The plate weight is less than someone choosing between a standard combo vs a large combo at McDonalds lol. From what I've seen the Hurst doesnt have any issues with hardware touching the transmission housing or protruding anywhere. Its actually a very well built piece with the heads of the screws sunk in and are just long enough to tighten down fully.

·
Super Moderator
8,058 Posts
So i searched and saw a lot of comparisons between the shift arms (like BREEDT vs Cobb)..but not really anything comparing getting the shift plate vs the entire shift arm.

On a local group I posted that I got the Hurst shift plate and some cable bushings (sitting on my counter, not installed yet but prob will tomorrow). But I get an overwhelming amount of comments to say 'junk the plate' and 'replace the arm'. Why? Most people are not very constructive in their criticism, they just state their opinion but don't embellish.

I'm guessing because a 'plate' on the factory arm seems 'ghetto rigged' or 'cheap'. But if it works, its a quality part, it shortens the throw, whats the big deal? My guess is its not AS much of a shortened throw maybe, or ppl are just worried that it isn't as 'proper' to drop in a plate. I've heard bs about the added weight, thats stupid. The plate weight is less than someone choosing between a standard combo vs a large combo at McDonalds lol. From what I've seen the Hurst doesnt have any issues with hardware touching the transmission housing or protruding anywhere. Its actually a very well built piece with the heads of the screws sunk in and are just long enough to tighten down fully.
I actually just did a quick search, and found quite a few threads on it. Its been a common topic.

Replacement shift arms are superior to bolt on plates. They offer drastically better feel and shifting. Bolt on plates all lead to very clunky shifts, and the change in geometry isnt a positive one in the bulk of them. They just dont ever feel as precise or fast as an arm.

Granted since my personal testing, cobb released a v2, and hurst got into the market, but i can't see any plate beating an arm.

Right now, JBR as far as I'm aware of, makes the best shift arm product. Noticeable difference swapping from a Breedt, and just a fantastic piece. Normally around 90 bucks, its top notch.

Sorry, some of the links are post specific, but those threads are the first few that pop up.

Theres also a sticky on shifter mods, a outdated one, but its there none the less.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I like my jbr shift arm, really improved the shifting but more importantly it's not notchy. Mountune would be the other good alternative

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am not experienced with respect to a multitude of Focus ST mods, but I did install the Cobb V2 shift plate and really like it. Granted my use is just as a daily driver, and I am not using the car to autocross or to do track events. For my purposes, and in my opinion the shift plate is a big improvement over the stock setup, and is easy to install (and uninstall if you don't like it). The shift arm is a LOT more involved, installation-wise, and much more of a commitment, although I can see it being a better solution. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I am not experienced with respect to a multitude of Focus ST mods, but I did install the Cobb V2 shift plate and really like it. Granted my use is just as a daily driver, and I am not using the car to autocross or to do track events. For my purposes, and in my opinion the shift plate is a big improvement over the stock setup, and is easy to install (and uninstall if you don't like it). The shift arm is a LOT more involved, installation-wise, and much more of a commitment, although I can see it being a better solution. Just my opinion.
It's one bolt installation after you knock a pin out.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The install varies by vendor. Only one I think installs from the top not requiring removal of anything. So an arm is roughly the same install process.

The arm also has the added benefit of added mass for smoother shifting

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's one bolt installation after you knock a pin out.
Ah- My apologies. I was thinking that the shift arm referred to the lever itself inside the cabin. The process of removing the shifter itself looks tedious and very time consuming, and that's what my comments referred to.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It doesn't seem to get as much attention as some of the other options, but I installed the FSWerks short shift plate with a 30% reduction. Super easy install, only slightly clunky (shorter) shifts, not a single problem in five years.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Ah- My apologies. I was thinking that the shift arm referred to the lever itself inside the cabin. The process of removing the shifter itself looks tedious and very time consuming, and that's what my comments referred to.

no shift arm is referring to the arm on the tranny where you mounted the plate you remove that arm which is knocking out a pin and then replace it with another arm to have multiple locations for your cable to attach.

·
Registered
376 Posts
no shift arm is referring to the arm on the tranny where you mounted the plate you remove that arm which is knocking out a pin and then replace it with another arm to have multiple locations for your cable to attach.
I have one of these Power nailer which I used for knocking out that pin (used a punch in conjunction with it), and it worked great. I'd heard of so many folks having trouble with that pin and with this thing it was out in less than 5 seconds. So much easier than dealing with swinging a hammer.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have one of these Power nailer which I used for knocking out that pin (used a punch in conjunction with it), and it worked great. I'd heard of so many folks having trouble with that pin and with this thing it was out in less than 5 seconds. So much easier than dealing with swinging a hammer.

Nice I just pulled the driver side headlight news the punch and a long extension.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It doesn't seem to get as much attention as some of the other options, but I installed the FSWerks short shift plate with a 30% reduction. Super easy install, only slightly clunky (shorter) shifts, not a single problem in five years.
This might be the only one, that installs from the top, not requiring the pin to be removed... Yes, definitely one of the lesser mentioned ones, when it's the easiest install.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Too bad you're all the way across the US from me... I'd have let you borrow it if you were close (or just have you drive over and we could swap the parts real quick).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts