Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing a few searches and can't seem to get a general consensus answer, and with all the options I just seem to be a bit confused myself.

Originally I was going to go with the Breedt quik shift arm as everyone seemed to speak very highly of that. However, is there a reason to not just order the Boomba ultimate shift kit? Have heard great things about the bushings for how cheap they are, it is just all the different components have my slightly confused.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm thinking doing the Transmission Cable Bracket Bushings and the gas pedal block from Garage Line and be done with it. How much faster can you shift with a short throw anyway?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh I think it finally clicked. So to reduce the throw you pretty much have two options:
1) Getting a plate
2) changing the shift arm

Both of those individually can reduce the throw, or you can combine them for even further reductions (which I think the boomba kit does). So ultimately it then just comes down to how much reduction you desire.

·
Premium Member
13,952 Posts
Ahh I think it finally clicked. So to reduce the throw you pretty much have two options:
1) Getting a plate

Both of those individually can reduce the throw, or you can combine them for even further reductions (which I think the boomba kit does). So ultimately it then just comes down to how much reduction you desire.
Exactly.

Sent from another garage.

·
Administrator
12,636 Posts
1) Getting a plate

I suggest not bothering with a bolt on shift plate, get a replacement shift arm. Right now there are three manufacturers, Breedt, Mountune, and JBR. I like the mountune the most, but for the money I think JBR has the best product.

Cobb bolt on plate was my first product, it was heavy and clunky. So clunky that it became know as the "Cobb clunk". Then I went with Breedt, its a very nice product, lots of adjustment, and much faster less clunk shifts. Very noticeable. I have a JBR shift arm in my possession but I am I torn with whether to install it on my current loaner transmission, or just put it on my original trans when I get it back.

JBR is my top suggestion after dealing with multiple setups. I also run meets, and have experienced pretty much every shifter combo out there. Personally, I have the most aggressive possible, and my suggestions have the weight of lots of experience both in installing, and testing these products. (I still need to test the JBR, but overall design and materials it is looking like one awesome piece.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suggest not bothering with a bolt on shift plate, get a replacement shift arm. Right now there are three manufacturers, Breedt, Mountune, and JBR. I like the mountune the most, but for the money I think JBR has the best product.

Cobb bolt on plate was my first product, it was heavy and clunky. So clunky that it became know as the "Cobb clunk". Then I went with Breedt, its a very nice product, lots of adjustment, and much faster less clunk shifts. Very noticeable. I have a JBR shift arm in my possession but I am I torn with whether to install it on my current loaner transmission, or just put it on my original trans when I get it back.

JBR is my top suggestion after dealing with multiple setups. I also run meets, and have experienced pretty much every shifter combo out there. Personally, I have the most aggressive possible, and my suggestions have the weight of lots of experience both in installing, and testing these products. (I still need to test the JBR, but overall design and materials it is looking like one awesome piece.)
Thanks! I am thinking since it is my DD I likely will not go for the full kit, and as I said Breedt was always the leading contender, but never really checked out the JBR one. I assume you would want to do the shifter base bushings and the cable bracket bushings?

Would also be great in the CDN dollar improved a little bit... but that is another discussion.

·
Administrator
12,636 Posts

·
Administrator
12,636 Posts
Thanks! I am thinking since it is my DD I likely will not go for the full kit, and as I said Breedt was always the leading contender, but never really checked out the JBR one. I assume you would want to do the shifter base bushings and the cable bracket bushings?

Would also be great in the CDN dollar improved a little bit... but that is another discussion.
Canada, ouch.

Depends what you are going for. I currently run with the least amount of slop possible, and the tightest shortest throws available. So the initial shift is a bit stiff and heavy then it flies into gear with authority with very little play. Some people like a lighter shift, which tends to have a bit more "squish" to it.

Here's my set-up

Boomba Short Throw Shifter arm
Boomba Trans bushings
Boomba Shifter base bushings
Breedt Shift Arm
Two piece aluminum shifter cable ends (awesome mod, ebay only)
Anarchy Motive 640 gram knob
Redline Shift boot
Custom modified reverse lockout, to allow a lower shift knob height

Everything is set to max reduction, and stock neutral shifter location.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've recently gone with the breedt quick shift arm and the boomba transmission bracket and shifter base bushings. Position 3 on the arm. Good setup. Occasionally getting into first is less than smooth but not enough that I give it any real thought.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can't say enough nice things about the Boomba shifter.
Yeah, it's a little more work to install, but so worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Lots of opinions out there, so here's mine.
I started out with the Breedt arm when it first came out, and was very happy with it--high quality piece, much shorter shifts, and it allowed me to move the shifter position 25mm forward, which helped me a lot. Then last year, I got a helluva deal on a FRPP shifter assembly, which I installed this past Spring along with a set of Boosted's shifter base bushings. I've found my setup, no reason for me to change anything else--incredibly short shift with a nice "mechanical" feel.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have the Cobb Plate and will be getting a Breedt shift arm soon, the Cobb Plate is clunky as others have noted.

I just installed a Boomba Short Shifter and Base Bushings, wow what a difference and I am glad I finally ordered these. I also have the larger Boomba knob too, this is my DD and well worth the money for those mods.

·
Registered
768 Posts
That's what I'm in search of as well...just that solid, mechanical, positive feel without all the sloppiness. The distance of travel and the height of the stock shifter arm is not a problem for me. So is that what I need to replace then, the shifter arm on the tranny and the bushings? I can keep the stock shifter or is there value added there as well??

What do the weights do on that JBR shifter?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've installed the JBR arm (with all weights) set at 40% reduction. I also installed their cable bracket bushings and have a Anarchy Motive knob. This setup has been phenomenal. At first, I felt like the throw was too short and kept debating about switching to the 20%, but my procrastination has allowed me time to adapt. I wouldn't go back now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've installed the JBR arm (with all weights) set at 40% reduction. I also installed their cable bracket bushings and have a Anarchy Motive knob. This setup has been phenomenal. At first, I felt like the throw was too short and kept debating about switching to the 20%, but my procrastination has allowed me time to adapt. I wouldn't go back now.
What do the weights do? From what I have seen the JBR arm is the only one with those. Since the stock arm is so heavy, I assume you would put more weights on to make the shifts slightly easier?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts