Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a month or so i will need to ship my ST across the country. Just curious if any of you have done this.

1. What companies do you suggest to use?
2. Open vs. enclosed?
3. Realistic prices for shipping?

Thanks in advance. (If this needs to be in a different forum please let me know)

7352843542554481180.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Seven years ago my Dad shipped me a Focus ZTS from South Carolina to Kansas using a private local (to him) hauler that was moving two small school buses across country on a flat bed trailer. He had enough room on the back of the trailer and delivered the Focus for $500.00.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Nothing wrong with open air trailers, however you must HOUND the company with questions. "Will my car be moved to different trailers" "will my car be moved at ALL after being on the trailer" "will my car be at risk of being bumped" "how often do you have incidents where you have had customer damage" "can you prove the response to the prior question" "how long will it take (this varies A LOT)" etc.

Enclosed honestly is only really needed if it's like dead of winter or something and you want to protect it from the elements better. Or if you REALLY cherish your nice premium paint and want to dish the extra amount for it. Realistically being 31k dollar cars fully loaded they aren't always worth the premium for enclosed.

Schedule delivery ASAP so there is less chance it will be unloaded more than required. Unloading is when damage occurs usually

When you get it, check it out thoroughly. If you find an issue report it to the driver before he even leaves.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I shipped a car back from Europe recently (not an ST) and they go through and document by putting little stickers on every blemish the car has when you drop it off, that way you can't claim they did it. I would shoot a ton of pics on drop off, maybe a walk around video to prove any new damage. Usually you cannot ship anything inside the car, just FYI.
I know it doesn't pertain this case but if anyone is interested the cost to ship from Germany to New Jersey was about $1500.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I shipped a car back from Europe recently (not an ST) and they go through and document by putting little stickers on every blemish the car has when you drop it off, that way you can't claim they did it. I would shoot a ton of pics on drop off, maybe a walk around video to prove any new damage. Usually you cannot ship anything inside the car, just FYI.
I know it doesn't pertain this case but if anyone is interested the cost to ship from Germany to New Jersey was about $1500.
I forgot to touch on that, :whs: absolutely. Document every single freaking mark. Don't try to lie about anything just check it all out and take a ton of pictures. You see something different, back it up.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
$1500 sounds quite reasonable from EU to US.

·
Registered
233 Posts
"$1500 sounds quite reasonable from EU to US. "

That was for an AWD Chrysler 300C. I'd guess an ST, which is a decent amount lighter and takes up less room, would be a couple of hundred $$ less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts