Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I basically have the closest thing a "perfect" shifter set up can get at this point on our cars.
There's only one tiny aspect that still needs improvement, though.
That is the tiny few degrees of slop in shifter lever when it is in neutral and centered. This is only in the X (side to side) direction, however.

I've done a brief search, and no results came up; here or otherwise.
Does anyone know if a slightly stiffer spring exists? And by slightly i mean only a minute increase in resistance.

Is the spring even the culprit? Or is it just the limitation of the shifter assembly itself?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,901 Posts
I basically have the closest thing a "perfect" shifter set up can get at this point on our cars.
There's only one tiny aspect that still needs improvement, though.
That is the tiny few degrees of slop in shifter lever when it is in neutral and centered. This is only in the X (side to side) direction, however.

I've done a brief search, and no results came up; here or otherwise.
Does anyone know if a slightly stiffer spring exists? And by slightly i mean only a minute increase in resistance.

Is the spring even the culprit? Or is it just the limitation of the shifter assembly itself?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
As far as reducing the side to side slop, idk. Mine is still about the same with all my mods. It doesnt really bother me at this point. Maybe i will take a gander and see what i come up with.

Across the large amount of shifter set-ups i have personally had, i had some pretty bad binding that lead to the shifter not going center at all. A little lube and some break in fixed it.

Reactions: Nionetics

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
wow, I cant believe somebody actually wants a stiffer spring in there! when I was fist getting used to the ST's clutch and shifter, which I though felt unusually stiff, I actually missed 6th a couple of times and went back to 4th because of how strong the centering spring is. having had it a month now, I'm totally used to it. Since I've got my buddies SlingShot in my shop right now, I figured I'd take it to lunch today. holy crap I couldn't believe how soft the clutch was, almost punched a hole in the floor just trying to start it. also the shifter feels damn near perfect after driving the focus for a while, just a nice light precise click into each gear and barely any strength in the centering spring. kinda made me sad after hopping back into the Focus and realizing (again) how bad it actually feels and how much effort it takes just to row through the gears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts