Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you really feel the difference between the 2? I'm gong to be ordering one around the 4th when there are some sales going on. I've heard that I should just go with a shift arm as the shift plate sits higher and can cause unnecessary wear on the transmission? Anyone clarify this for me?

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
Can you really feel the difference between the 2? I'm gong to be ordering one around the 4th when there are some sales going on. I've heard that I should just go with a shift arm as the shift plate sits higher and can cause unnecessary wear on the transmission? Anyone clarify this for me?
I have yet to see any difference in wear from any shifter components.

Personally, after testing and installing numerous shift plates/arms, there is no doubt that an aftermarket arm out performs a plate everytime.

Through my testing and abuse, if you are looking for a suggestion (which I normally refrain from) JBR is pretty much the top dog shift arm.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have yet to see any difference in wear from any shifter components.

Personally, after testing and installing numerous shift plates/arms, there is no doubt that an aftermarket arm out performs a plate everytime.

Through my testing and abuse, if you are looking for a suggestion (which I normally refrain from) JBR is pretty much the top dog shift arm.
That's the exact shift arm I have my eyes set on. Good to know though the price is almost the exact same as a shift plate too so thats a plus as well!

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
That's the exact shift arm I have my eyes set on. Good to know though the price is almost the exact same as a shift plate too so thats a plus as well!
It's a great piece, they really hit a home run with it. I even compared it directly to a Breedt on the same set-up, and it was super noticeable difference in shifter feel, precision, and gear finding.

SS hardware, great plating and anodizing. Well packaged and machined. I have zero gripes about it, and I like to nit-pick products, lol!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a great piece, they really hit a home run with it. I even compared it directly to a Breedt on the same set-up, and it was super noticeable difference in shifter feel, precision, and gear finding.

SS hardware, great plating and anodizing. Well packaged and machined. I have zero gripes about it, and I like to nit-pick products, lol!
Awesome! I also love how they have the adjustable weights so you can adjust the shift feel accordingly too.
Definitely can understand nit picking products lol. If your forking out a bit of cash you wanna make sure you're getting a decent product

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
As has already been pointed out, shift arm is better than an adapter plate. In my experience the adapter plates can bind up a little which adds shift effort and NVH. The shift plates only win on ease of install and price.

I have the Mountune Quickshift, but used to have one of the plates. I would either go with the JBR or the Mountune for a replacement arm. Breedt has had a few issues with their shift arms (cable popping off in some positions). I have yet to see a review on the TWM shift arm replacement, but that is the other arm option I am aware of.

Reactions: reggy66

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
As has already been pointed out, shift arm is better than an adapter plate. In my experience the adapter plates can bind up a little which adds shift effort and NVH. The shift plates only win on ease of install and price.

I have the Mountune Quickshift, but used to have one of the plates. I would either go with the JBR or the Mountune for a replacement arm. Breedt has had a few issues with their shift arms (cable popping off in some positions). I have yet to see a review on the TWM shift arm replacement, but that is the other arm option I am aware of.
Breedt only had issues with the NTC older bushing actually. Some reverse lockout issues when using the forward shifter positions, remedied by a small simple modification to the reverse lock-out ramp due to the new resting position of the shift lever.

Mountune is a very nice piece, but that pricetag was always rough, as mountune tends to roll that way.

The TWM has been on my mind, but I'm liking the JBR so much, I doubt Im going to fork out even more cash to test it. I can shift entirely too fast right now as it is, with very precise mechanical feel, I would be surprised if anything can improve it for it's price tag. Then again I was super skeptical about the JBR performing any better, and it did, lol!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
You might also do solid cable bracket bushings while you are down there. It is not that difficult to take apart, but if you want to do the bushings at some point you might as well do them when you already have everything apart.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Breedt only had issues with the NTC older bushing actually. Some reverse lockout issues when using the forward shifter positions, remedied by a small simple modification to the reverse lock-out ramp due to the new resting position of the shift lever.

Mountune is a very nice piece, but that pricetag was always rough, as mountune tends to roll that way.

The TWM has been on my mind, but I'm liking the JBR so much, I doubt Im going to fork out even more cash to test it. I can shift entirely too fast right now as it is, with very precise mechanical feel, I would be surprised if anything can improve it for it's price tag. Then again I was super skeptical about the JBR performing any better, and it did, lol!
Yeah that pricetag on the mountune piece was what pushed me away from it.

You might also do solid cable bracket bushings while you are down there. It is not that difficult to take apart, but if you want to do the bushings at some point you might as well do them when you already have everything apart.
I actually have already done the bushings lol I got a deal on a set from boomba for it and decided to jump the gun on them before I ended up getting a shift arm.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
@Duece McCracken I have the breedt, could you give me a little more details on your experience comparing the JBR to it?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Jar shift arm 40% reduction. Very short shifts. Much better engagement/feel than the steeda bracket I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
@Duece McCracken I have the breedt, could you give me a little more details on your experience comparing the JBR to it?
This whole time I thought you were stalking my build thread, I thought we had something special going, sniff sniff

Lol!

Weighting one side of the arm (idk, just feels like that helps) it has a more precise mechanical feel with really solid engagement and excellent feedback.

There seems to be less cable binding than the Breedt, so the shifts are a bit smoother and much faster.

I was looking in my build thread, I don't know if I ever posted about the install, lmao!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
This whole time I thought you were stalking my build thread, I thought we had something special going, sniff sniff

I was looking in my build thread, I don't know if I ever posted about the install, lmao!
Yeah I HAVE stalked your thread more than a few times, but I didn't recall it and tbh it's a million pages long and my brain can only download a certain amount each night on here lol. I like the breedt and been very happy with it, but what you are describing would smooth out whatever little issues I do have with it. I have blown way past my budget for the car I was never gonna mod and that's before I install my suspension soon. BUT my budget resets every year, so I will probably grab one on a christmas sale and put it in this winter.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
357 Posts
Never used a plate but I've got the JBR short arm also. Shifts are super short, crisp and notchy. #becauseracecar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Currently running the Boomba adapter. I also have the Boomba Short stick but not installed yet.
Been looking at the jbr shift arm instead of the adapter but will the Boomba stick line up correct with it?

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A3003 via Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
Currently running the Boomba adapter. I also have the Boomba Short stick but not installed yet.
Been looking at the jbr shift arm instead of the adapter but will the Boomba stick line up correct with it?

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A3003 via Tapatalk
As in retaining the oem neutral position for the lever? It does, or is really close to it, not off enough for me to notice.

Reactions: Dexter

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ran the Cobb plate for about 5k miles, it always felt like it would bind and like you were shifting in a bag of gravel. Found a deal on a used mountune arm and would never go back. All bushings replaced with solid at time of install as well, but I've never felt the arm bind once.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the breast arm with the boobs short throw, solid shifter and trans bushings and a jbr heavy knob. Love the set up but getting into fifth gear is rough. I don't know if that's an installer issue or a hardware issue lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts