Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a little encounter with a corvette c5 driver today (in Mexico), he was surprised when I passed him at the top of 3rd. But I noticed a little yellow light come on my dash around 5000rpm. So I did another pull and it was the traction light. Am I spinning, or do stock focuses have a shift light? I have no tune on the car, its all stock in the firmware department.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
825 Posts
It is rather easy to spin the tires at high rpm WOT if the ground is smooth.
That yellow light is you spinning the tires a little bit.
Been there done that.
(though in general I do not race Corvettes.. After you manage to sneak past them, they usually just crush you like a bug.)

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is rather easy to spin the tires at high rpm WOT if the ground is smooth.
That yellow light is you spinning the tires a little bit.
Been there done that.
(though in general I do not race Corvettes.. After you manage to sneak past them, they usually just crush you like a bug.)
Yeah he was definitely holding back, I don't think he expected a hatch back to keep up with him, he backed off before hitting 60mph, so he definitely held back, we both had a hard start but I think he only wanted to go to the speed limit (50) and I kept going. Guess I wasn't worth his time lol.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I can easily spin in 3rd, but also not stock.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Idk if its my winter tires but I am finding even on dry clean pavement I can spin tires at any time in 1/2 gear. I am currently running stock tune too.

Did it on purpose for the first time the other day, cant remember what motivated me but I made them spin a little after shifting into second. Try not to do this but once in a blue moon it feels appropriate.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I miss worded my original post and it sounds a bit confusing. The light came on my dash at the top of 2nd shifting into third, I stopped accelerating at the top of third and shifted to 4th, let the engine inertia slow me down then shifted to 5th and cruised. The light didnt come on with that shift, only 1st into 2nd and 2nd into 3rd. Was around 5k in 2nd when the light came on for a moment, I almost thought it was a shift light because I thought that that had to be WAY too high a speed to be spinning. And it wasnt that cold out, it was about 60-70 degrees out today. I live in southern California and we dont really get harsh winters, the worst we get is a little rain here and there and once a blue moon it will turn into snow for like...a minute, if the temps are low enough. But this was a clear sky sunny day.

IDK, just seemed a bit weird to me, but I am pretty sure I heard that you have to tune your car to get a shift light, I was just wondering if this might be a new feature for 2017 that Ford might have added to our cars, or if I was needlessly wasting rubber. Now I know the answer! LOL.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I am pretty sure I heard that you have to tune your car to get a shift light
the tuning device itself (AP3 for example in my case) has a shift light on its display (if turned on)

but yeah, with a small snail that hits hard and fast like ours does and an open diff is the perfect recipe for breaking the tire loose in the first couple of gears, and is a big reason I choose to have my tuner limit the power in the first two gears. and even with the power limited, it is still very easy to break loose if getting into the pedal to fast. that being said, even with the tune it will barely spin in 3rd. if easily spinning in 3rd with a bone stock ST, I'd look into getting better tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had mine spin very slightly in third this morning but it was 15F on Z rated summer tires. Those things were like rocks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm turbo back and a green filter, stock tires etc. Only time I've spun 3rd dry was on cold tires, 20* outside. Generally for me 1st always spins, 2nd kinda spins but still pulls pretty good, but 3rd is it always hooks except when SUPER cold or raining.Lately I've gotten in the habit of turning tc off when i get in the car. When I get tuned I'll set it to default to traction off or something less intrusive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts