Ford Focus ST Forum banner
181 - 200 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Totally want a Copper Shift knob now, was in for the titanium but now I'm like in love with the way that looks. What's the weight on the copper knob?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Is there any way to actually machine the shift pattern into the knob? I'd really like one that has the shift pattern and numbers machined into it, and then filled in with a blue material and polished so the knob is solid metal and the numbers and pattern are blue but flush with the rest of the knob.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Is there any way to actually machine the shift pattern into the knob? I'd really like one that has the shift pattern and numbers machined into it, and then filled in with a blue material and polished so the knob is solid metal and the numbers and pattern are blue but flush with the rest of the knob.[/

He can machine the numbers into the knobs but I do believe that the polymer knobs are the only knobs that can have their engraving painted. The titanium and other metal knobs are just a surface engraving and take off the already blue haze. If the blue haze was added again the numbers would disappear. I think this is true lol

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Is there any way to actually machine the shift pattern into the knob? I'd really like one that has the shift pattern and numbers machined into it, and then filled in with a blue material and polished so the knob is solid metal and the numbers and pattern are blue but flush with the rest of the knob.[/

He can machine the numbers into the knobs but I do believe that the polymer knobs are the only knobs that can have their engraving painted. The titanium and other metal knobs are just a surface engraving and take off the already blue haze. If the blue haze was added again the numbers would disappear. I think this is true lol

If he can machine the numbers and pattern into the knob, it could be filled with some sort of epoxy or resin and smoothed out, I'd think. Anything is possible.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If he can machine the numbers and pattern into the knob, it could be filled with some sort of epoxy or resin and smoothed out, I'd think. Anything is possible.
Depends on which knob it is. The titanium or any other metal won't hold an epoxy. The engraving on those knobs are just surface so the epoxy or paint has nothing to hold onto

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Depends on which knob it is. The titanium or any other metal won't hold an epoxy. The engraving on those knobs are just surface so the epoxy or paint has nothing to hold onto

Which is why I said can the pattern and numbers be machined into the knob so they can be filled. :)

Reactions: DiehardMetsFan

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
I would like a copper, what's the price on one.
Totally want a Copper Shift knob now, was in for the titanium but now I'm like in love with the way that looks. What's the weight on the copper knob?
I can make a copper sphere currently at $115 shipped (only have about 8 inches of material left! )

Is there any way to actually machine the shift pattern into the knob? I'd really like one that has the shift pattern and numbers machined into it, and then filled in with a blue material and polished so the knob is solid metal and the numbers and pattern are blue but flush with the rest of the knob.
I have only a laser engraver. The laser can cut into the copolymer plastic material so I can paint those knobs after engraving them.
The laser cannot cut INTO metals. It can only etch them, so metal knobs can be engraved but I cannot change the color of the engraving. The engravings appear black on stainless steel, or silver on titanium. (I cannot engrave brass or copper or aluminum with the laser)

am interested in one like this. I assume it works with reverse lockout?
This knob is for the WRX STi, but I can make one for the Focus ST. The bottom end of the knob would be larger in diameter though, in order to fit the huge Focus ST lockout ring inside.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Shout out to @WC LATHE WERKS for my knob with custom engraving. I installed this last month but I wanted to get some time behind the wheel before posted here about it - that and I've had the pics on my phone and haven't synced with the laptop until today

Love the feel of the knob. Paired with my FRPP Short Throw Shifter and Boomba shifter bushings, the knob helps with extra force needed to shift. The quality of this knob exceeded my expectations and is a perfect fit. The only issue is when shifting into reverse - the collar cannot move all the way up so there is a little interference when punching into gear, but it is very manageable - not a deal breaker at all. Driving the car is effortless with knob and when I really get into the gas and start ripping through gears, this knob really pays for itself in terms of "enjoyment factor". The rapid shifting with this package (WCLW Knob, FRPP Shifter, Boomba bushings) has enabled me to improve my starts and sprints. Highly recommend to all browsing this thread. The knob is expensive, but you get what you pay for! Extremely high quality product that is made just for the customer! Thanks again WC Lather Werks!

Metal
Gear shift Vehicle Car Family car Mitsubishi
Vehicle Car Auto part Vehicle door Automotive design

·
Registered
717 Posts
@WC LATHE WERKS, I played with it for over an 90 minutes and what I found was the difficulty was with the custom engraving being lined up correctly. If I ordered an unmarked knob I'm sure it would be perfect, but since it is marked I seemingly couldn't the set screw set where the reverse would engage AND have the engraving lined up correctly... In hind sight, I should have not had the engraving done - but like I said in my post its manageable...

I had that set screw all the way in and I would turn it 1/4 turn (such that the screw was coming out) and screw the knob on the shaft, take the knob off the shaft and turn the set screw another 1/4 turn and screw the knob back on, etc, ect, ect... I did that probably 15-20 times before I ran out of set screw... Then I would get frustrated and start all over... to no avail... Probably started over 4 times before I got it lined up! I mean I could NEVER get that engraving to line up correctly no matter where that set screw was - it was driving me nuts lol... And I'm pretty mechanically inclined (I've installed all my mods with the exception of the exhaust - and I perform my own regular maintenance). I'm just happy the engraving is lined up and I can actually get the car in reverse... I will never probably remove that knob again given what it took to get BOTH the engraving to be straight AND the reverse to engage... I do have the Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) Short Shifter and not the stock shifter so maybe that is why it can't get perfect? Maybe there are less threads on the FRPP Shifter because the shaft is shorter? Either way, if I had to do it all over again, I would have skipped the engraving - having that engraving being all ****-eyed, to me, would have been worse than not having a totally crisp reverse engagement... Love the knob though - 100% satisfied with it while driving the car forward. :)
I have the WC piston knob with engraving and FRPP shifter also. I resorted to shoving some pieces of paper napkin in there to finally get it to sit right for reverse and line up the engraving.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
I have the WC piston knob with engraving and FRPP shifter also. I resorted to shoving some pieces of paper napkin in there to finally get it to sit right for reverse and line up the engraving.
Yea I'm going to include a longer adjustment screw as a backup for people that have different shifters so they can set the exact height they need.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yea I'm going to include a longer adjustment screw as a backup for people that have different shifters so they can set the exact height they need.
Any idea where I can get one of those? Lowe's or anything?

·
Registered
91 Posts
As we already know, Chris is the man.

I wanted something to liven up the dour, gray interior of my ST1, without looking too much like I'd raided the S2000 shift knob department. Chris made me a shortened, titanium piston:

I liked the looks of the pistons, but didn't want something quite so tall. So, Chris made me one shorter. It was really just a matter of describing the look I was after. Super helpful guy who does beautiful work.

I'm thrilled with it. Thanks Chris!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Make VW knobs, Chris!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here's mine guys. I was going for a classic look. Makes me feel like I'm shifting on an old mustang ;)

Really love is white one.... i wonder if i would do black numbering though. very cool.... does this not have as much of the advantage of the heavier shifter? like the steel ones?

181 - 200 of 241 Posts