Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Shift knob weights

20K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  mackguy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I have a WC Lathewerks stainless steel knob on mine and like it quite a bit. It weighs in at 440g. I wish I had seen this website you're looking at. I could have got the same design for even cheaper, and it weighs even more than the one I bought. My ST has kind of a notchy feel on the 2 to 3 and 4 to 5 up shifts even after the FSWerks aluminum bushing upgrade. I find the extra weight helps out a bit.

#4 ·
I suppose it is possible. However, 550g is not going to hurt anything, unless you are attempting to do a bunch of power shifting. In that case, you may cause premature wear to the synchros. Just make sure you are not resting your hand on the shifter and you'll be just fine with the 550g knob.

#5 ·
I actually went to a lighter knob and a 40% reduction as I like the notchy/mechanical feel, and like to feel if the transmission is fighting me. Too many stories about people killing the trans..

#8 ·
Conventional wisdom has always been heavier makes for more precise throws but imo, doesn't apply to a shifter with a cable = fwd. Definitely helps when shifter on top of tranny = rwd. Im back to stock shift knob after having given heavy knobs a shot with this car and I have all the aftermarket bushings/arm etc....

#9 ·
Always go with weight. If you ever put on a short shifter the weight will be a must, and IMO it's nice even with a stock setup. No benefits to having a light knob. I have a WC Lathewerks and I love it.

#10 ·
I have 40% reduction, with reduced weight shift arm (JBR with no additional weights added), and reduced weight knob... much better than stock, I can actually feel what the transmission is doing now, and it feels properly notchy and mechanical.

#18 ·
A) I like the feel better

B) It seems transmission (and specifically synchro) problems are somewhat common in our cars. Synchros wear from being used/abused. I wanted to reduce the mechanical advantage on the shifter (short shift arm and lighter knob) thus allowing me to feel what was going on in the transmission. That way, when needed I can pause or more gently shift to avoid excess wear on the synchros. If you have high mechanical advantage (stock arm, heavy knob) you won't feel when the transmission is fighting back at you, and just rely on the synchro to make up the difference, thus wearing the synchro.

So for me it was personal preference for feel as well as hoping to improve the synchro longevity.
How much of an affect would short arm/heavy make do you think?

And not being an ass here, but wouldn't taking off your clutch assist spring do this to the clutch?

#20 ·
How much of an affect would short arm/heavy make do you think?

And not being an ass here, but wouldn't taking off your clutch assist spring do this to the clutch?
Well there's a lot of variables.. Some shift arms have counterweights like the factory one (Breedt, Mountune), and some have removable weights (JBR), in my case I went JBR and removed the weights, and put it on its shortest setting. I could also go for a FRP shifter but too much $$ for now.

There's just too much variation to take a guess at what you might end up with mechanical advantage wise.. I just go for getting it all as light and precise as possible.

Regarding the clutch spring, again removing the mechanical advantage provided by the spring makes it much easier to feel the point of clutch engagement, and my shifting improved by about 200% the day I pulled that out..

what knob are you working with right now?
This one
Fiesta ST/Focus ST/Mustang 2-1/8 Shift w/ Pattern 6Spd 2013-2017

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.