Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shift cable broke yesterday out of the blue. Fairly clean shear right at the end of the cable, where it meets the metal rod that connects to the bushing on the shift arm.

Anyone had this happen to them before? How did you replace the cable?

I'd prefer to do the work myself instead of taking it to a dealer since I'm pressed for time (was supposed to be returning from leave today, now I'm stuck two states away). Especially don't want the car to sit while they try to decide if they want to warranty it or not, since I do have an aftermarket shift arm and cable end bushing installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
A quick search through Ford parts lead me to this diagram which calls out part number 7E395 "Cable Assy - Selector Lever Control 5-Speed Manual Trans - MTX75"
Can't guarantee this is it but it could get you close.

I had one of the rod end plastic pieces crack on me and speaking to a local dealer they were only willing to replace under warranty only if I was able to show that that the same thing would have happened with the stock shift arm. I wasn't interested in trying to make a case as the reality is a different linkage does change the way forces are applied to the these cables and could have been partially responsible. I asked for a cable part number and was told I can only buy the entire shift assembly (interior shift lever + base + cables) with cables and install would require tearing down the center console. I ended up being able to get back on the road by swapping out the rubber bushing with the aluminum versions available on line.

Trans assembly.PNG
Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually do have the correct cable assembly for the ST on the way (only one of 2 in stock in the country apparently!), but thank you!

Hopefully swapping the assembly isn't too hard. Mostly concerned with how it gets through the firewall, and what it's attached to besides the trans cable bracket and the bracket underneath the stereo.

Also really interested in how it failed in the first place. Looks like it was cut but I don't think it was, and there's no evidence of rubbing or binding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If anybody is having this issue currently, I had the same issue happen to me and could not find any documents or videos anywhere on youtube or prodemand. The replacement process is a big pain in the ass but it is doable in an afternoon alone (Took about 6 hours) you have to pull of your interior side panels on both sides and you have to pull your airbox to be able to access the transmission. The most PITA part of this is maneuvering the heat shield on the firewall to be able to access the hole that the shifter cables go through. There is no room under the car with the engine cradle and steering components to get your hand in there so you have to be creative. There are 2 10mm bolts holding the shifter cables to the firewall and they are only accessible with a ratcheting 10mm wrench (unless you want to pull out a bunch of AC things). Once the bolts are removed you have to remove the clips holding the shifter cables to the transmission which can be difficult. Once those are removed, its a matter of wiggling around the figuring out how to get the shifter cables out (This step can take forever). once they are out you have to put the new shifter cables in which is another PITA squeezing them through the firewall hole which just has enough room to get them through, (One at a time). Then reconnect everything you took off, put all of the interior pieces back in and you're done. I make it seem complicated but its really not, it is just extremely annoying to do but its better than paying ford 800$ (That was my estimate) to get it done. The part was about 110$ and 6 hours of my time. I hope this helps anyone in this predicament and if anybody has any questions or needs help feel free to PM me or message me and I'd be happy to help you...

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
If anybody is having this issue currently, I had the same issue happen to me and could not find any documents or videos anywhere on youtube or prodemand. The replacement process is a big pain in the ass but it is doable in an afternoon alone (Took about 6 hours) you have to pull of your interior side panels on both sides and you have to pull your airbox to be able to access the transmission. The most PITA part of this is maneuvering the heat shield on the firewall to be able to access the hole that the shifter cables go through. There is no room under the car with the engine cradle and steering components to get your hand in there so you have to be creative. There are 2 10mm bolts holding the shifter cables to the firewall and they are only accessible with a ratcheting 10mm wrench (unless you want to pull out a bunch of AC things). Once the bolts are removed you have to remove the clips holding the shifter cables to the transmission which can be difficult. Once those are removed, its a matter of wiggling around the figuring out how to get the shifter cables out (This step can take forever). once they are out you have to put the new shifter cables in which is another PITA squeezing them through the firewall hole which just has enough room to get them through, (One at a time). Then reconnect everything you took off, put all of the interior pieces back in and you're done. I make it seem complicated but its really not, it is just extremely annoying to do but its better than paying ford 800$ (That was my estimate) to get it done. The part was about 110$ and 6 hours of my time. I hope this helps anyone in this predicament and if anybody has any questions or needs help feel free to PM me or message me and I'd be happy to help you...
What are you referring to as "interior side panels"? I don't have any issues currently, but like to keep up on procedures that may come in handy in the future.

·
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,458 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
535 Posts
I broke the retaining tabs on my shifter cable linkage. I don't like knowing about something of that nature, so I quickly googled part and after I found it was rather inexpensive I was about to pull the trigger. I then realized what a huge pain in the ass it would be to replace. I zip-tied the locking mechanism tight. First time i've used a duct tape fix on the car and haven't thought about it twice... mostly because I know at some point due to all my hardened bushings, I'll be in this boat anyways, having to replace a snapped cable end -_-.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,660 Posts
What are you referring to as "interior side panels"? I don't have any issues currently, but like to keep up on procedures that may come in handy in the future.
he means the side covers panels for the lower center console

1 - 10 of 10 Posts