Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Boomba Shifter in the car and are going to get a Redline Shift Boot. Does anyone with this combo know what size height reduction it was? They ask when ordering how much shorter the shifter is - but I cannot find that on Boomba's site.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Administrator
10,649 Posts
We have a Boomba Shifter in the car and are going to get a Redline Shift Boot. Does anyone with this combo know what size height reduction it was? They ask when ordering how much shorter the shifter is - but I cannot find that on Boomba's site.

Any help is appreciated.
1.8" is quite fantastic. Its what I have been running forever now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Weird/coincidental that this topic came up so recently; I've been going back and forth with Kamil at Boomba about the abrasion to the interior of the OE boot after installing their Ultimate Shift Package back in June 2016. I thought about starting a poll asking anyone who has installed an STS to look at their boot to see if it is being worn excessively in the area of the boot that shifting into reverse, at least on my vehicle, causes the reverse lockout to rub up against it.

I don't have the Boomba STS set at the very minimum; it is one step up from the minimum setting.

Anyway, I've been incredibly busy at work so I haven't had time to do any sort of post on this issue. However, I was able to take advantage of a rare occasion and escape the office for lunch so I stopped by a local custom leather/interior shop. They are making me a new boot, from real leather with an identical texture as the OE boot, but cut down to prevent this binding from excess material.

I think that it would be helpful to have some notation on the STS page or in the installation instructions that using the OE boot may eventually cause wear due to the excess material being abraded by the reverse lockout.
You can see how the wear is in the area where you swing the shifter over into reverse. There is another area that shows abrasion and you can see the threads are visible from wear.
20161226_194508 (1).jpg 20161226_194539 (1).jpg 20161227_181321.jpg 20161227_181353.jpg

·
Administrator
10,649 Posts
Weird/coincidental that this topic came up so recently; I've been going back and forth with Kamil at Boomba about the abrasion to the interior of the OE boot after installing their Ultimate Shift Package back in June 2016. I thought about starting a poll asking anyone who has installed an STS to look at their boot to see if it is being worn excessively in the area of the boot that shifting into reverse, at least on my vehicle, causes the reverse lockout to rub up against it.

I don't have the Boomba STS set at the very minimum; it is one step up from the minimum setting.

Anyway, I've been incredibly busy at work so I haven't had time to do any sort of post on this issue. However, I was able to take advantage of a rare occasion and escape the office for lunch so I stopped by a local custom leather/interior shop. They are making me a new boot, from real leather with an identical texture as the OE boot, but cut down to prevent this binding from excess material.

I think that it would be helpful to have some notation on the STS page or in the installation instructions that using the OE boot may eventually cause wear due to the excess material being abraded by the reverse lockout.
You can see how the wear is in the area where you swing the shifter over into reverse. There is another area that shows abrasion and you can see the threads are visible from wear.
View attachment 194306 View attachment 194314 View attachment 194322 View attachment 194330
I was actually fully aware of this, and got the redline boot for the install iirc. Or swiftly after. That bagginess is not cool. I am with you that there should be a disclaimer from Boomba, or any other Short shift lever manufacturer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts