Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is in the right spot.
Well as the title suggest I may have screwed up a bit installing my shift arm. My car is brand new so luckily I had no issues removing the stock arm, the issue was with installing the new one. As hard as I tried I could not get the new arm onto the shaft more than a fraction of an inch. After about 15 minutes of wrestling with it I decided to try tapping it on with a 2x2 piece of wood and a hammer. I did not go crazy pounding on it but was firm. A few hits and and it looked like progress was being made but the next blow of the hammer ended up pushing the shaft down into the housing! Oh crap I thought and I pulled the arm off the shaft. I was able to pull the shaft back up and turning it with an allen wrench through the hole showed it was still changing the gears as it should. So now what? No way was I going to get either arm back on there so I decided to open up the hole in the new shift arm a bit to allow it to slip easily over the shaft, which worked just fine and the car shifts like it should. Now my question is I see there are a few bolts that hold a cover over this shaft and I was wondering if I should consider taking ths off and see about fixing whatever it is I knocked loose or do you think I should leave well enough alone? Anyone had the cover off before? What do you think, beside nominating me for bone head of the month?

·
Administrator
11,875 Posts
Hope this is in the right spot.
Well as the title suggest I may have screwed up a bit installing my shift arm. My car is brand new so luckily I had no issues removing the stock arm, the issue was with installing the new one. As hard as I tried I could not get the new arm onto the shaft more than a fraction of an inch. After about 15 minutes of wrestling with it I decided to try tapping it on with a 2x2 piece of wood and a hammer. I did not go crazy pounding on it but was firm. A few hits and and it looked like progress was being made but the next blow of the hammer ended up pushing the shaft down into the housing! Oh crap I thought and I pulled the arm off the shaft. I was able to pull the shaft back up and turning it with an allen wrench through the hole showed it was still changing the gears as it should. So now what? No way was I going to get either arm back on there so I decided to open up the hole in the new shift arm a bit to allow it to slip easily over the shaft, which worked just fine and the car shifts like it should. Now my question is I see there are a few bolts that hold a cover over this shaft and I was wondering if I should consider taking ths off and see about fixing whatever it is I knocked loose or do you think I should leave well enough alone? Anyone had the cover off before? What do you think, beside nominating me for bone head of the month?

Well this is a first.

What shift arm were you installing?

So it's shifting fine? What is it's current status?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the car seems to be shifting just fine, I have been driving it for over a week. The arm was from Torque Solutions. I picked it up from Panda Motorworks, they are 5 minutes from where I work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can anyone at least tell me what to expect to find under the cover? Anything potentially going to fly out or fall out?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts