Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new FMIC and was thinking about shaving my grill at the same time. I really like the way the 13-14 look with the shaved grill but cant find any pictures of the 2015 with a shaved grill. I like when the 13-14 put sheet metal over crash bar and then paint a logo on it. Just wondering if this was possible on my 2015. Any pictures would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I just bought a new FMIC and was thinking about shaving my grill at the same time. I really like the way the 13-14 look with the shaved grill but cant find any pictures of the 2015 with a shaved grill. I like when the 13-14 put sheet metal over crash bar and then paint a logo on it. Just wondering if this was possible on my 2015. Any pictures would be appreciated.
I haven't done it, but in can be done. You can follow the same steps for the 13-14 grille. From what I've seen, the easiest way is to sand the back down until the honeycomb open up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the front grille on the 2015 just pops out. you don't have to touch the front bumper cover like you do on the 13-14. you can literally just stick your fingers through the holes in the honeycomb and give it a little tug around the perimeter of the grille and it'll pop out. here is what mine looked like when i shaved it and the results after. i used an angle grinder and it pretty much just melted the plastic, once it did that i would pick the plastic blobs out with a screwdriver.

Photo Oct 11, 3 37 05 PM.jpg
Photo Feb 20, 4 44 00 PM.jpg
Photo Nov 14, 4 14 28 PM.jpg

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Not worth it nor is there an advantage of doing it on the 2015s... the crash bar just sticks out. on the black it looks ok but on white or anything bright colored it just pops out and looks bad.

Just my thought. removing all the plastic behind the grill is a better way of going about it, if you are looking for increased air flow. and if your car isn't black then you will want to paint the crash bar black.

what is the point of doing this if you still have the active shutter system along with all the other plastic bits?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
[ATTACG]180169[/ATTACH]

Upper Grill shaved, lower grill removed along with tabs. Had to for my BEAST intercooler.
"had to" you didn't "have to". I have installed that FMIC on a car and didn't have to modify in anyway. (other than removing the active-shutters.)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Initially sanding the grille to open up the front of the car sounds great. Until I thought about it and it doesn't expose any more air to the radiator or intercooler since there is a big crash bar back there. So what's the point

I like the way the car looks with the lower grille gone, but I would guess the intercooler is going to catch all kinds of crap from driving in traffic.

Reactions: nickbaldwin86

·
Registered
226 Posts
I like the look of the shaved grill and no active shutters. I'm just worried that my short drives to work in the winter that the car will never reach operating temperature.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a reason why Ford engineers don't do everything for looks. They do things for performance and reliability of the vehicle. Then people on the internet cut them up and think they are improving something.
And in this case, it is them doing something for looks. There's no reason to cover up the bottom part of the grill, but for looks. It hides the crash bar and general ugliness of that area.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Doesn't that line also help with the overall aero dynamics of the car and sanding it off create more drag that lowers MPG? Correct me if I'm wrong but I swear that I heard that somewhere about this.

·
Registered
350 Posts
There is a reason why Ford engineers don't do everything for looks. They do things for performance and reliability of the vehicle. Then people on the internet cut them up and think they are improving something.
Yet you cut up your lower grill and your air box..

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yet you cut up your lower grill and your air box..
Correct I did... for looks! and it looks amazing! I didn't waste my time with the grill because it looks gross. Why would anyone want to show of sheet metal crash bar.

The air box was to prove that there are other ways to get air into the air box other than the 3D printer ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Guess it depends on the person.. I painted my flat black and you have to really go looking to see the crash bar. I think it looks much much better then a little rectangular hole.

IMG_2983.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree. I think it looks far better opened up.

As for the crashbar, couldn't you mount a light bar to it? I've seen others with them, but I'd like a blackout LED lightbar in there. I just don't want to spend the money buying one just to fine out it won't fit.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I shaved mine and love it, I'm going to black out my crash bar and stencil something across it. I've seen it a couple of times before and it looks sweet!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Doesn't that line also help with the overall aero dynamics of the car and sanding it off create more drag that lowers MPG? Correct me if I'm wrong but I swear that I heard that somewhere about this.
Yes. They keep the actual opening to the minimum size needed to reduce drag. What's really just for looks is the larger shape of the grill beyond the actual opening.

·
Registered
368 Posts
View attachment 180169

Upper Grill shaved, lower grill removed along with tabs. Had to for my BEAST intercooler.
Everything about your car looks phenomenal - the shaved grille helps complement the intercooler, and it certainly looks aggressive and tasteful.

This would have been one of my favorite STs except for one eyesore.

I detest your headlights. I can't express enough what a dumb decision it was to do what you did. If I was your dad or your best mate I would slap you in the head and tell you to remove it. While it looks cool with your theme, it's very idiotic to cut down on your visibility of you being able to see the road along with other cars being able to see you. What are you going to do when Grandma Suzy Cantsee changes lanes in front of you because she can't see so well? Or during a bad rainstorm when Johnny Trucker has to knife over into a lane and doesn't see you in time because of your blacked out headlights? I strongly encourage you to remove the tint on your headlights, bud. For your safety and the safety of others on the road.

I normally do not come off so strong when giving advice to people on this Forum, but this is just a really stupid decision - right up there with drunk driving, drowsy driving, or texting and driving. Please do not compromise safety features on a car (your ability to see and for others to see you). If you are not keen on my criticism, then I certainly hope that you are at least being smart and driving only during daylight hours and not at dawn, dusk, or dark or in inclement weather.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Guess it depends on the person.. I painted my flat black and you have to really go looking to see the crash bar. I think it looks much much better then a little rectangular hole.

View attachment 180425
Looks good but clean up the tabs on the lower opening, looks like you cut them off with dull scissors and then just left it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts