Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just about the worst that could happen, happened. The engine in my focus decided that life was too hard, and decided to practically put itself out of its own misery, and I need advice. After getting a quote on how much it would cost to fix/replace, I've decided that I can't put that much money and time into the car and want to try to sell it as is. Neither shop I've taken it to has told me the most precise problem, but have all concluded that the engine and turbo would need to be replaced. And what I'm here to ask is, how much do yall think I could reasonably get out of an ST in that state? It's a 2014 ST2 in Tangerine Scream, just over 100k miles, with the only real mod being a roush catback. Thank you for any help you can give.

RIP Shelby 2014-2021

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,626 Posts
A used engine can be had for less than $1500 from a host of donor vehicles with the 2.0 single scroll turbo, and there are a few write-ups on here of folks doing it in their garage over a weekend... and for at least one of the folks, they were NOT a "car guy"...

Given that it's a TS-colored car, I'd probably get a donor motor and swap it, but that's just me...

·
Registered
2016 ST2
84 Posts
I would imagine that repairing and selling is the best bet financially. I think this goes for most vehicles. Even if you pay a shop to do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A used engine can be had for less than $1500 from a host of donor vehicles with the 2.0 single scroll turbo, and there are a few write-ups on here of folks doing it in their garage over a weekend... and for at least one of the folks, they were NOT a "car guy"...

Given that it's a TS-colored car, I'd probably get a donor motor and swap it, but that's just me...
Thanks for the advice, we have looked around for replacement motors but couldn't find any that cheap, what are some of the donor cars that have the same motor? and would they have the same mounting points? I believe I still want to try to sell the car as a first option though, and would like to get an idea of what I could possibly get out of it. Also, why would you swap it if it's TS specifically?
Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Look for Escape, Fusion, Lincoln's version of the Escape (MKC maybe?). It needs to be the Single Scroll motor, so I believe the cutoff year is 2016. The Escape motors will likely be the cheaper and more plentiful option, plus the auto trans makes them less susceptible to LSPI

Reactions: Oldandintheway

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
Thanks for the advice, we have looked around for replacement motors but couldn't find any that cheap, what are some of the donor cars that have the same motor? and would they have the same mounting points? I believe I still want to try to sell the car as a first option though, and would like to get an idea of what I could possibly get out of it. Also, why would you swap it if it's TS specifically?
Thank you
Tangerine Scream is an awesome color (IMO), and they didn't make a ton of them. You've basically got one of a few unicorns out in the wild. I've got a light blue metallic 2018 ST, for instance, and in my almost 2 1/2 years of owning it, I've seen 4 other cars of that color.

As to the motor list, see this link:

There are likely hundreds of thousands of donor motors out there which could be used... Just need to look around.

ETA: Just looked on ebay and there are tons of 2.0 EB motors for under 1k, including shipping, and less than 70K miles.

For instance: 2015 2016 Ford Escape Lincoln MKC 2.0L Turbo Engine Motor 69K OEM | eBay

Reactions: MrBen522

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tangerine Scream is an awesome color (IMO), and they didn't make a ton of them. You've basically got one of a few unicorns out in the wild. I've got a light blue metallic 2018 ST, for instance, and in my almost 2 1/2 years of owning it, I've seen 4 other cars of that color.

As to the motor list, see this link:

There are likely hundreds of thousands of donor motors out there which could be used... Just need to look around.

ETA: Just looked on ebay and there are tons of 2.0 EB motors for under 1k, including shipping, and less than 70K miles.

For instance: 2015 2016 Ford Escape Lincoln MKC 2.0L Turbo Engine Motor 69K OEM | eBay
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are you located and can it drive at all right now or must be towed?
North Alabama, and the last I tried it would start and would move under its own power. although just barely. pretty much just enough to move it into a good spot for the tow truck driver.

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
North Alabama, and the last I tried it would start and would move under its own power. although just barely. pretty much just enough to move it into a good spot for the tow truck driver.
Did you do a compression check on it yet? You can rent those from Autozone/Advance/Oreilly. Would be nice to know whether it's a bad cylinder or something else before you possibly spend $ on a motor. How's the coolant and oil levels and look? Coolant have any oil in it, or oil have any coolant in it? Any white smoke out the exhaust?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I sold mine in running condition, but with a cracked head with 180k miles for $3500. Was gone in about 3 days, so I should have asked for more, but I also didn't want to end up with it sitting over the winter, taking up a garage bay, and leaving the daily outside or being in the way of the plow (1/4 mile driveway). Worked out especially well as my GR86 came in about 10 weeks early. I still end up with the daily outside, but I don't mind moving it when necessary like I would for a dead car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you do a compression check on it yet? You can rent those from Autozone/Advance/Oreilly. Would be nice to know whether it's a bad cylinder or something else before you possibly spend $ on a motor. How's the coolant and oil levels and look? Coolant have any oil in it, or oil have any coolant in it? Any white smoke out the exhaust?
have not done a compression check. the reason I took it in originally was because it was billowing white, sweet smelling smoke. thought it was a head gasket but I guess I thought wrong. I mean, should I do a compression test anyway? two different places said I needed an engine without me telling them what the other place said, I kinda took it as a 100% fact. but now I'm starting to second guess it. I don't know. let me know what you think.

·
Super Moderator
10,699 Posts
have not done a compression check. the reason I took it in originally was because it was billowing white, sweet smelling smoke. thought it was a head gasket but I guess I thought wrong. I mean, should I do a compression test anyway? two different places said I needed an engine without me telling them what the other place said, I kinda took it as a 100% fact. but now I'm starting to second guess it. I don't know. let me know what you think.
Sweet white smoke is burnt coolant; could be head gasket, cracked block, crack in the exhaust port or turbo seal to name a few. Compression check will narrow it down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweet white smoke is burnt coolant; could be head gasket, cracked block, crack in the exhaust port or turbo seal to name a few. Compression check will narrow it down.
if they are saying I need a new engine AND turbo, do you think its most likely in the exhaust port or possibly turbo seal then? I'm not sure, I'm the furthest thing from a mechanic. I have a very basic knowledge about this stuff, I know what all the parts are but sure as hell don't know how to fix em! I'm really appreciative of your inoit and suggestions, it truly is helping a lot and deciding what I want to do.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,795 Posts
if they are saying I need a new engine AND turbo, do you think its most likely in the exhaust port or possibly turbo seal then? I'm not sure, I'm the furthest thing from a mechanic. I have a very basic knowledge about this stuff, I know what all the parts are but sure as hell don't know how to fix em! I'm really appreciative of your inoit and suggestions, it truly is helping a lot and deciding what I want to do.
I'd put money on the exhaust port cracking.

They're quoting you a whole engine because its actually cheaper to do parts/labor than just cylinder head job.

They do the turbo because you've had cold (in a relative sense) coolant spraying out and hitting a red hot turbine wheel which will potentially cause cracking/a future failure. It would be very unfortunate to put a new engine in and have a turbo explode and destroy a new engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd put money on the exhaust port cracking.

They're quoting you a whole engine because its actually cheaper to do parts/labor than just cylinder head job.

They do the turbo because you've had cold (in a relative sense) coolant spraying out and hitting a red hot turbine wheel which will potentially cause cracking/a future failure. It would be very unfortunate to put a new engine in and have a turbo explode and destroy a new engine.
would it not be cheaper just to get a new head and turbo if the block is still in good shape? instead of pulling the engine and replacing it? In my head that sounds like an alternative depending on the state of the block but it might be a terrible idea. let me know because as I said before, I'm in no way a mechanic 😂

·
Super Moderator
10,699 Posts
would it not be cheaper just to get a new head and turbo if the block is still in good shape? instead of pulling the engine and replacing it? In my head that sounds like an alternative depending on the state of the block but it might be a terrible idea. let me know because as I said before, I'm in no way a mechanic 😂
Labor on the head replacement is more than a used engine and installation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tangerine Scream is an awesome color (IMO), and they didn't make a ton of them. You've basically got one of a few unicorns out in the wild.
i didn’t know that! i feel like i see more TS than any other color in my area. two of them live pretty close to me lol

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
Yep,
i didn’t know that! i feel like i see more TS than any other color in my area. two of them live pretty close to me lol
I've seen 2... That's it.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
In my area it's me, and only me for TS..... :(
Closest one i know of is a 50 minute drive south.
Next closest i know of is @Sabatzis

How many tangies are hanging around you @Sabatzis ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts