Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see much about people self tuning on here so if there is a flood of info on here about the subject, please direct me and mods can close this if needed.

As some of you may have seen me post about recently is that my roommate with a 2016 WRX self tuned it. He had an OTS map and then bought the EFI tuning class for $150 and got the Accesstuner program to tune everything himself. I'm seriously interested in this, but I know the time involved in researching is tremendous.

Has anybody on here gone this route? I know the significant majority are pro tuned, and that was my plan and I was going to eventually self tune. I started thinking about the costs and it felt like it would end up with me paying twice for really close to the same thing, provided I ended up tuning well anyway. Again, it's my roommate so I have his wealth of knowledge to help me right there so it's not like the only thing that I have is the internet like he did, but I was just curious if anybody here ditched their pro tune or OTS for their own personal one or never even got a protune and just dove in with theirs.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I didn't see much about people self tuning on here so if there is a flood of info on here about the subject, please direct me and mods can close this if needed.

As some of you may have seen me post about recently is that my roommate with a 2016 WRX self tuned it. He had an OTS map and then bought the EFI tuning class for $150 and got the Accesstuner program to tune everything himself. I'm seriously interested in this, but I know the time involved in researching is tremendous.

Has anybody on here gone this route? I know the significant majority are pro tuned, and that was my plan and I was going to eventually self tune. I started thinking about the costs and it felt like it would end up with me paying twice for really close to the same thing, provided I ended up tuning well anyway. Again, it's my roommate so I have his wealth of knowledge to help me right there so it's not like the only thing that I have is the internet like he did, but I was just curious if anybody here ditched their pro tune or OTS for their own personal one or never even got a protune and just dove in with theirs.
It seems you have already looked into it and realize you have to take a class with Cobb to be allowed to get the software the tune the car. If you want to do it for the learning experience by all means tune away. Just remember that the professionals are professionals for a reason. The risk you take on doing it yourself is one that you probably already acknowledged before making this post. It's been done for sure, I just can't think of any notable posts I've seen of people doing it or discussing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems you have already looked into it and realize you have to take a class with Cobb to be allowed to get the software the tune the car. If you want to do it for the learning experience by all means tune away. Just remember that the professionals are professionals for a reason. The risk you take on doing it yourself is one that you probably already acknowledged before making this post. It's been done for sure, I just can't think of any notable posts I've seen of people doing it or discussing.
All of what you said is true, I am definitely aware that I would be fully capable of melting every piston on first crank if I screw up real hard. It would by no means be an overnight pro tune and night and day difference right away. It's a low uphill climb until I get it where I want with all the required research involved. I just learned something that really blows my mind and I'm pretty positive I'm going to be going the self tuning route. I had no idea Cobb's OTS tunes were free. A professionally built tune, for free. I don't care that it doesn't compare to a protune, it's still free. I knew it came with the new purchase of a new AP, but my plan was to get a used one and then I figured I'd have to pay to download the map. If I was paying for a map I was going to go with tuner known for more gains to better compare myself against but screw that if it's free. If this doesn't work out down the road I'll just fall back to the Cobb map and go with a custom tuner later

Reactions: brian60
1 - 3 of 3 Posts