Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a motor go bad at 22,000 miles and ford replaced only the short block. prior to the problem the engine was hesitant between 1k and 2k and no engine lights came on. all of a sudden the engine light came on and i had it towed to ford. the said cylinder 4 piston was severely damaged. and asked for a record of oil changes so i provided receipts of the 3k intervals. they almost didn't cover the engine because it took time to produce the recipes for the oil i purchased. anyways 3k to 4k mi later the same problem has happened and I'm enraged. they took 2 weeks the first time to repair it and the did a short block only. which tell me from deductive reasoning that the problem was also the head as well. has anyone had any experience with this problem?

·
Super Moderator
7,735 Posts
i had a motor go bad at 22,000 miles and ford replaced only the short block. prior to the problem the engine was hesitant between 1k and 2k and no engine lights came on. all of a sudden the engine light came on and i had it towed to ford. the said cylinder 4 piston was severely damaged. and asked for a record of oil changes so i provided receipts of the 3k intervals. they almost didn't cover the engine because it took time to produce the recipes for the oil i purchased. anyways 3k to 4k mi later the same problem has happened and I'm enraged. they took 2 weeks the first time to repair it and the did a short block only. which tell me from deductive reasoning that the problem was also the head as well. has anyone had any experience with this problem?
Welcome to the forums, and I lol'ed at your name reasoning.

First off, not to be demeaning or anything, but we have no info towards your knowledge of DI boosted motors or driving habits, so I will quickly brush up on this just to cover some bases.

LSPI, low speed pre ignition. Can be a killer of motors. Which would be the drivers fault. Its too much demand for power, at too much load, at too low of a rpm. It will cause piston damage and/or ring damage. Most people agree to be at a min of 2500 rpms before demanding any kind of power, 3k to be safe before you gun it. Having an active ecu reader can let you know if you are causing this. Like one of those bluetooth OBD scanners.

Running premium fuels, leads to less negative ignition corrections, and can help prevent detonation issues. Though the manual says running 87 oct is acceptable, this is a forced induced motor. Please run 93 octane from a top tier fuel source, or Sunoco (i live off sunoco 93). Premium fuels have better detergent blends, and keep the car running optimal.

As far as your short block concerns, your query is valid. I have not personally blown up my ST motor yet, but I do tend to keep an eye on suspected causes and such. I read way to much on here.

There are several topics of discussion, that are not 100 proven to be the culprit, but are valid points nonetheless.

Dirty or leaking DI injector. They swapped back in your OEM injectors. If one was leaking, adding extra fuel to a cylinder, it can cause issues. SO it could have caused your first blow up, and second blow up. It's a theory I have discussed with several people, and particularly one of my buddies who is on motor 3. 3rd one was a junkyard long block swap. He has been fine since that one.

Bad grounding. Which can cause poor injector signaling and other shenanigans. its not as clear cut as the Injectors malfunctioning themselves, but it is a know issue across the ST platform for various other problems.

HPFP issues, or fuel starvation at the end of the rail. Some of which has been attributed to bad grounding, or the faulty pump itself. Normally this is a dead in the water issue. where the pump craps out, throws codes, and your car is pretty much undriveable. Hard starting is normally the precursor. The HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) is attached to the head of the motor, so it would be the same one as initially installed. I doubt this is your issue. Just throwing it out there.

This is mostly what I gather to cause issues.

·
Super Moderator
7,735 Posts
Would be curious if they reused all fueling components when first engine failure may have indicated fuel delivery issue.
Yep, and exactly. That's one its an area of concern. I have heard of many short block swaps ending with another failure. When I pop, and rebuild my fuel system is getting thoroughly inspected, and cleaned/replaced.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not to sound like a "Richard" but you joined an ST forum so you could vent on your displeasure at Ford. If I were you, I'd pursue relief directly from Ford. Something doesn't sound right. Especially considering this is all covered under warranty. This generation of ST has been on the market sincesince 2012, and while there have been known issues (like the wiring harnesses), these engines are not known for just blowing up. If they were, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't remain as a top choice in their class.

Maybe I am being a Richard, but something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Me believes he doth protest too much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts