Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded to a 94r H7 under the hood (it’s like 1000 max amp and 750 CCA). What would be a good size battery to add in hatch for my sub and speaker amps? They’re supposed to match so they don’t drain one another? Could I go with the kinetic 1200 and be ok? Just got new skar 3500.1 amp and already had dual 1000watt x4 for my door level speakers. Definitely at least want another battery for the new amp...

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Why don't you get capacitors?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Why don't you get capacitors?
bwahahahhahahahahahah

Probably because he wants something that will actually help him...

Alright, all joking aside, lets look at this from a math standpoint.

Assuming that your Pair of 4ch 1000w amps are actually wired to and capable putting out 1kw each(most don't even come close). that would put you around 5500w of output power.

Assuming that that all of these amps are pretty efficient at around 80%, puts you at around 6900w of input power.

Let us also assume that your car could (it cant...) SUSTAIN enough current to keep the engine running voltage at 14ish volts. that should put your current requirements just a little under 500 amps at full volume.

I honestly don't know how much good adding only one extra battery will do regardless of size. if you are only using the power for quick burst, then sure it may help give you a couple of minutes extra listening with the engine off. But if you are listening to it at high levels for extended amounts of time, I wouldn't expect it to even really give you much more or any extra time before the alt burns up. you would likely need a few extra batteries and even then you would need a recharge break every once in a while. batteries and caps only store power, once its used up, its gone. If your charging system cant keep up with the power requirements of the sound system, then its not going to be able to recharge those batteries. The correct way to take care of the problem is to increase the charging capabilities, which with most modern cars means adding extra alternators and running them on a second isolated system.

Now if your use case will be only listening to it as reasonable/lower volumes with only the occasional short loud burst, then it may work for you. If these batteries are going to be on the same system/loop, then I would recommend getting as close to the under hood battery as possible. Also, for the love of God, please either get a vented battery and run a vent tube out side of the cabin, or if you are going to get a regular battery, then get a sealed battery box and properly vent it(which is usually the best option as it will be able to securely mount the new battery so it doesn't become an acid filled missile in the event of a bad car accident).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bwahahahhahahahahahah

Probably because he wants something that will actually help him...

Alright, all joking aside, lets look at this from a math standpoint.

Assuming that your Pair of 4ch 1000w amps are actually wired to and capable putting out 1kw each(most don't even come close). that would put you around 5500w of output power.

Assuming that that all of these amps are pretty efficient at around 80%, puts you at around 6900w of input power.

Let us also assume that your car could (it cant...) SUSTAIN enough current to keep the engine running voltage at 14ish volts. that should put your current requirements just a little under 500 amps at full volume.

I honestly don't know how much good adding only one extra battery will do regardless of size. if you are only using the power for quick burst, then sure it may help give you a couple of minutes extra listening with the engine off. But if you are listening to it at high levels for extended amounts of time, I wouldn't expect it to even really give you much more or any extra time before the alt burns up. you would likely need a few extra batteries and even then you would need a recharge break every once in a while. batteries and caps only store power, once its used up, its gone. If your charging system cant keep up with the power requirements of the sound system, then its not going to be able to recharge those batteries. The correct way to take care of the problem is to increase the charging capabilities, which with most modern cars means adding extra alternators and running them on a second isolated system.

Now if your use case will be only listening to it as reasonable/lower volumes with only the occasional short loud burst, then it may work for you. If these batteries are going to be on the same system/loop, then I would recommend getting as close to the under hood battery as possible. Also, for the love of God, please either get a vented battery and run a vent tube out side of the cabin, or if you are going to get a regular battery, then get a sealed battery box and properly vent it(which is usually the best option as it will be able to securely mount the new battery so it doesn't become an acid filled missile in the event of a bad car accident).
Lmao as opposed to the marine cranking one in the last thread in cabin.
I will just have 1 1k for my speaker levels (dual brand). And then the skar rp 3500 for the two vxf Skars.
So you wouldn’t pair an Xs power 3400 with my 94r h7 up front?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts