Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
I wouldn't do the spray myself. I've done it before and got minimal results. Always use the liquid can and a small vacuum line to add it. Let sit for about 20-30 minutes and then smoke out your neighbors. The spray I believe is more of a lubricant, is it not?

Registered
Was wondering if it was OK on a turbo engine - read a few posts here about this and then also found this.

(Absolutely馃憤) Yes, you can use Sea Foam Spray to clean a turbo gas engine - YouTube

Seems that introducing it after the turbo business it key.

Also read about catch can install - I had this done on my C5 Corvette - I'll have to search here for vendors and how-to's.....
From my limited knowledge most people walnut blast their valves to clean them, I've never seen someone use seafoam on an ST. I'm sure someone somewhere has or does do it semi regularly but its definitely not the norm.

As far as catch cans go there's a few different options but this seems to be the most common: Radium PCV Catch can

Registered
Actually, did a bit more research as I haven't used Sea Foam since about 2003... Looks like the spray can would be fine. The spray can used to be a lubricant like WD-40 and PB Blaster if I remember correctly. Looks like they now offer the cleaner in the aerosol can. May clean better than the non-aerosol can as the mist would get in more places.

I was thinking of doing it to my car this weekend. I can make a writeup of where I used and post up the results.

Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
Ya know, you could just install a WMI system and clean the valves as you drive... ;) Then you'll get increased octane, cleaning, cooling of the intake charge... wouldn't even have to tune for it if you ran the 250 cc pintle/nozzle.

Registered
I don't use seafoam, I use C&C valve cleaner like @sttwoton does. If you have a throttle body spacer, you can easily tap in and spray into the TB, if you don't you can create something, or use a liquid to soak your valves, but then you have to manually crank, vacuum, etc. I only use seafoam on my old pickup.

Registered
Some people in the VW community used to use seafoam to clean the valves, I鈥檓 not sure how effective it is though since I never tried it myself. I鈥檝e read mixed reviews, most seem to lean towards it being somewhat effective for light buildup and useless for heavy carbon deposits.

When I get around to cleaning the carbon buildup I鈥檒l be removing the intake manifold and giving walnut blasting a try. Personally I don鈥檛 think seafoam will do enough to be worth turning my car into a fog machine.

Registered
Some people in the VW community used to use seafoam to clean the valves, I鈥檓 not sure how effective it is though since I never tried it myself. I鈥檝e read mixed reviews, most seem to lean towards it being somewhat effective for light buildup and useless for heavy carbon deposits.

When I get around to cleaning the carbon buildup I鈥檒l be removing the intake manifold and giving walnut blasting a try. Personally I don鈥檛 think seafoam will do enough to be worth turning my car into a fog machine.
This is where my experience came from but in the Audi world (Same thing) But I dunno how effective it is on the valves but it DOES get the piston tops very clean. I did a before and after with a bore scope back in the early 2000's and posted it on Audiworld but I don't think it's there anymore. I had to link the pics from a site that isn't there anymore so doubt it'll be helpful. Also did some before and after datalogs and it showed less pre-ignition after. This was on a vehicle with 70k miles and doubt it was ever done before.

Registered
Ya know, you could just install a WMI system and clean the valves as you drive... ;) Then you'll get increased octane, cleaning, cooling of the intake charge... wouldn't even have to tune for it if you ran the 250 cc pintle/nozzle.
I was just about to say... plain water injection would clean far better than seafoam (not a huge fan)

Registered
Could someone explain what a WMI system is? Google says it's a Microsoft Windows Management Instrumentation System, but I'm pretty sure that isn't it.

Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
Here you go... my thread on the install/tuning.

ETA... it stands for Water Methanol Injection

Super Moderator
Could someone explain what a WMI system is? Google says it's a Microsoft Windows Management Instrumentation System, but I'm pretty sure that isn't it.
Water Methanol Injection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts