Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the oil for the second time this weekend (2250 miles) and am getting frustrated with the screws on the belly pan...

Mrs01Sportwagon has the Flex and that belly pan has "quarter turn" pins that hold the pan in place. WHY does our FoST have Screws?!? Is there a way to convert the screws over to quarter turn pins?

Is the belly pan specific to the ST?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Look on the bright side - at least they aren't that pointy on the ends so they don't stab you in the back too bad when you're rolling around doing an oil change.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I took mine off this winter installing something and never put it back on. I was talking to my service guy to see if I would hurt anything when I was getting work done on my truck. He said all they are good for is soaking up water and mud and adding weight to the car. Now I'm sure they offer some very limited protection, but does anyone else run their cars without their belly pans? Am I risking something?

Reactions: jam360nml

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I took mine off this winter installing something and never put it back on. I was talking to my service guy to see if I would hurt anything when I was getting work done on my truck. He said all they are good for is soaking up water and mud and adding weight to the car. Now I'm sure they offer some very limited protection, but does anyone else run their cars without their belly pans? Am I risking something?
Mine ripped in the center where the hole is cut into it because it clipped a high spot in my dirt driveway after a hard rain washed the sides down. Now it slightly hangs down and looks stupid. I might remove mine.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It's primary function is to reduce overall wind resistance, not protect anything.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Same thing. Took mine off to install RMM, never put back on. Maybe had it on the car a month, maybe...

From what I know, most cars have them on to reduce drag to up the MPG's ever so slightly.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Mine is gone after getting tired of messing with the screws. Hated it. It won't be coming back.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Well I'm not worried about mpg's so it won't be coming back on. I wonder if a wet one adds enough weight to offset the gain from initial added aerodynamics...or if a hole in it is enough to ruin it's advantage?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just did my oil change and will definitely will not put mine back on. I noticed a spot where oil was leaking onto the mat (screws on BPV backed out and leaking blow by was dripping over time). Had there not been a cover, I would have noticed A LOT sooner as it would have leaked onto my garage floor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the Flex, we were told that it was specific to the air flow in the engine bay. If we removed it, the turbulence would prevent the turbos from getting air flow (heat extraction) as well as noise in the cabin. I just presumed the same thing here...

I know this is the case in the 1970 VW bug I had. Being an air cooled engine, one does not effe with or remove the engine sheet metal. I just presumed the same thing with the Focus.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
On the Flex, we were told that it was specific to the air flow in the engine bay. If we removed it, the turbulence would prevent the turbos from getting air flow (heat extraction) as well as noise in the cabin. I just presumed the same thing here...

I know this is the case in the 1970 VW bug I had. Being an air cooled engine, one does not effe with or remove the engine sheet metal. I just presumed the same thing with the Focus.
Correct!

OEM's dont just put pieces on with zero function. It's added cost and weight, which dashes profits, and ruin's MPG's. yes, the belly pan serves a purpose, more than just cosmetic; but airflow management was the main purpose, whether that be for better mileage or proper guiding and evacuation of air from under the bonnet. Take a look at the underside of a Tesla Model X, or Audi A8, or a race car... All of them, are as flat as possible, with no gaps affecting air flow.

Removing it out of frustration is probably the last thing you want to do.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

It's actually more complicated. The sheet metal shroud around the VW motor served two purposes, neither of which was to improve aerodynamics. The VW motor brought cooling air in through the vents under the window, and in later years (70+) through even more vents in the engine cover which it pushed through the fan shroud, cooling the engine, and which then exited under the car. The purpose of the shroud was to prevent the hot air from recirculating back into the engine space, causing overheating in hot weather. Air entering through those vent louvers under the window was also used to blow air through the heater ducts which was then forced across the heater boxes that are wrapped around the exhaust system and then into the cabin which served as a heating system in cold weather. So the second purpose was to prevent exhaust gases from being pulled back into that engine space which would cause those gases to enter through the heat into the cabin. Not a similar situation at all.

·
Registered
878 Posts
04 F150 doesn't have it, 08 and 10 Escapes didn't have them, 12 Edge had the quarter turn one, 13 Escape didn't have one, 13 ST had full screw one, 15 Explorer doesn't have one

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
StevenST- Any correlation between those that have and have not with regard to turbos? A better way to ask: do the cars with belly pans also have turbo?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've checked McMaster-Carr and can't find it, but on ebay, if you search "quarter turn screw," there are hundreds of results of different types. Both the screw itself, or complete anodized kits with the screw and female end. I'm pretty sure with some diligence the proper ones could be found and can replace the crap the ST has from the factory.

The more I read this thread, the more I want to do something like this as an "upgrade," if only to make things easier for maintenance.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'll chime in.

I road race and if I pull my belly pan, I also have to pull my fender liners. The belly pan fastens to the splash guards on the front portion of the fender liner. Without the belly pan, there is nothing to fasten too, and at speed the wind pushes the splash guards into the tire and eats them.

I've had to replace two passenger fender liners because of this, and will probably have to do both again before I sell this car, whenever that is. I'm at the point now that if I eat another one, I'm just going to pull them and leave them off, along with the belly pan.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'll chime in.

I road race and if I pull my belly pan, I also have to pull my fender liners. The belly pan fastens to the splash guards on the front portion of the fender liner. Without the belly pan, there is nothing to fasten too, and at speed the wind pushes the splash guards into the tire and eats them.

I've had to replace two passenger fender liners because of this, and will probably have to do both again before I sell this car, whenever that is. I'm at the point now that if I eat another one, I'm just going to pull them and leave them off, along with the belly pan.
Let me get this straight, and I'm not cracking wise, I really want to know. By having my belly pan off I am gonna shred my front tires??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts