Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first time post here, and fairly new to the st club after getting my 2016 ST3 :)

The one scratch I have in the interior is below, not a big one but it is irritating me and ideally I want to hide or remove it.

Any suggestions please? Given this is the shiny plastic, I feel like sanding is not a great idea and I don't want to risk making it worse. Pics below

Automotive tire Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Grey cheers!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,618 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 2011 mustang radio/ console bezel which looks to be coated with the same coating or paint that your affected area is. I ended up repainting the whole bezel matte black, as a solution.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,988 Posts
I've used a heat gun or MAP gas, but I'd suggest that you practice. It's a timing issue on how quickly you need to work the surface.

Sometimes you can only lessen the appearance visually but depending on the depth the scratches will remain.

Reactions: Dillonpanthers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a similar issue on my 2011 mustang radio/ console bezel which looks to be coated with the same coating or paint that your affected area is. I ended up repainting the whole bezel matte black, as a solution.
Thanks, looks good. What type of paint did you use?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,618 Posts
Thanks, looks good. What type of paint did you use?
Just some crap i had laying around. Rustoleum etching primer and Kimball Midwest matte black, i think.

If i were to buy the paint, I'd opt for the correct interior paints and primers. But since i had stuff here, i hate to let anything go to waste.

·
Registered
Focus ST3 2016
115 Posts
Hi all, first time post here, and fairly new to the st club after getting my 2016 ST3 :)

The one scratch I have in the interior is below, not a big one but it is irritating me and ideally I want to hide or remove it.

Any suggestions please? Given this is the shiny plastic, I feel like sanding is not a great idea and I don't want to risk making it worse. Pics below

View attachment 391488 View attachment 391489 cheers!
I did those carbon fiber overlays on most of my interior and one of them covers that piece nicely on eBay for like 20 bucks and goes up to the radio bezel as well. Just the route I took but thought I’d share another idea. I’ve been slowly doing that to a lot of my trim in my interior and it’s addicting haha.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,627 Posts
I used Krylon Fusion paint for plastic in a Subaru I used to have. It was beige interior and I despised the contrasting silver pieces. It held up well over perhaps 8 years after I painted them.

I think I did a matching color on the gage bezel, and black on the center instrument panel. While I had that out, I replaced the AC led that had burned out, and removed a link that made the AC come on with defrost (basic HVAC controls)... Also had to pull it out again later and replace fan switch that started to melt... Replaced the radio separately too for aftermarket hands free calling.

Paint held up well with all that.

·
Registered
12 Posts

View attachment 391488 View attachment 391489 cheers!
I wish Ford would have put more of an investment into their interiors! I think like the most of us ST lovers/owners, one scratch on the inside of the car is not a big deal. It seems that if I look at the inside of my car wrong, there are scratches!!! UGH!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts