Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would take the time to give a positive review on a great product at an unbeatable price.
Mine came with all required hardware, in perfect shape.

I did buy grade 8 bolts and nuts for securing the lower brackets to the stock lower mounting points at the hardware store, and picked up some T bolt clamps for the charge pipes.

Went on without an issue. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a good intercooler without breaking the bank, at 99% larger than stock, and fitting cleanly under the crash bar, it's impossible to beat.

·
Registered
956 Posts
It really is a great product for the price, I went with the 5.5"; 35lbs of intercooler is a little nuts but it's a good talking point. ---mine's bigger than yours---

Enjoy consistent power my friend.

Reactions: Pfiles

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have been nothing but happy with mine that I ordered when they came back instock. I looked over every once of it when I got it and cam say that the build quality is extremely good. All of the welds looked great and it was well put together, especially when comparing it to a cheap ebay model a friend bought that didn't cost much less.
Honestly I can't see paying any more for a lot of all the other brands that cost two to three times as much. If you had a big turbo and needed more cooling, the 5.5" would be more than what anybody else would ever need and is still a good Chung of change cheaper than a lot of other brands.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have been nothing but happy with mine that I ordered when they came back instock. I looked over every once of it when I got it and cam say that the build quality is extremely good. All of the welds looked great and it was well put together, especially when comparing it to a cheap ebay model a friend bought that didn't cost much less.
Honestly I can't see paying any more for a lot of all the other brands that cost two to three times as much. If you had a big turbo and needed more cooling, the 5.5" would be more than what anybody else would ever need and is still a good Chung of change cheaper than a lot of other brands.

While I went with a used CP-E lightweight for $400, I would not have hesitated to go with Depo. Excellent product of high quality.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Looking at the 5.5... what core do they use?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
With the 5.5 Core, you will notice a drop in boost pressure. The core is too large for our tiny wee little turbo.

Your better off getting the 3.5 unless you plan to go Big Turbo, at which point it would make sense to get the 5.5 core "beast" in that case.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
With the 5.5 Core, you will notice a drop in boost pressure. The core is too large for our tiny wee little turbo.

Your better off getting the 3.5 unless you plan to go Big Turbo, at which point it would make sense to get the 5.5 core "beast" in that case.
Even of just doing a big turbo, I probably wouldn't bother with it unless you're having the motor built and really pushing the boost pressure a lot higher

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts

Even of just doing a big turbo, I probably wouldn't bother with it unless you're having the motor built and really pushing the boost pressure a lot higher

Some users get it for anesthetics even because the Beast is thicker and sits closer to the front of the grille so it's a lot more noticeable from the outside. Since it's still cheaper most other options it still isn't bad if you get the Beast vs the little baby beast

Reactions: zerocoolxx

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Makes sense... i dont plan on doing a big turbo (who knows what will happened... haha) so i guess the 3.5 is good enough... lucky for me I have a friend who owns a powder coat shop so have to see what color i can come up with.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Some users get it for anesthetics even because the Beast is thicker and sits closer to the front of the grille so it's a lot more noticeable from the outside. Since it's still cheaper most other options it still isn't bad if you get the Beast vs the little baby beast
Yes, I do realize that a lot of people out there are more concerned with aesthetics even at the cost of performance...

Personally for me, the better looks of it are not worth adding extra unneeded weight to arguably the 1st or 2nd worse place to add weight, nor do i want to add that much extra volume to the charge side and reduce the effectiveness of the already little snail. I'm more of a function over form kinda guy!

·
Registered
22 Posts

Based on what? While I agree the 5.5 is likely overkill for the stock turbo, it should have _less_ pressure drop than the 3.5, unless they have done something horribly wrong. The added volume of the 5.5 _might_ result in a slight delay in reaching max boost, but I seriously doubt it would be measurable. Unless it has a big hole in it there is no reason to believe that you will be unable to reach the same boost levels. That's just not how this works.

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
Based on what? While I agree the 5.5 is likely overkill for the stock turbo, it should have _less_ pressure drop than the 3.5, unless they have done something horribly wrong. The added volume of the 5.5 _might_ result in a slight delay in reaching max boost, but I seriously doubt it would be measurable. Unless it has a big hole in it there is no reason to believe that you will be unable to reach the same boost levels. That's just not how this works.
Lag, while certainly minimal, is definitely noticeable in the 3.5 vs 5.5 debate. Peak boost levels are more than likely negligible though as you've said. A 30gal vs 50gal air compressor both reach the same pressures, one just takes longer to fill. Same thing in this case, though that might be a bad example to use haha.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lag, while certainly minimal, is definitely noticeable in the 3.5 vs 5.5 debate. Peak boost levels are more than likely negligible though as you've said. A 30gal vs 50gal air compressor both reach the same pressures, one just takes longer to fill. Same thing in this case, though that might be a bad example to use haha.
Agree that there is more volume to fill, but it's more like 6 liters vs 10 liters, and I just don't think it's going to be that hard for the stock turbo to fill the extra volume. I see these arguments all the time about longer/larger diameter intercooler tube routing vs short/small diameters, and the dire predictions never seem to pan out in reality.

Main thing is it won't have an adverse effect on the max boost or the efficiency of the turbo. If anything the efficiency will be slightly better due to the decreased pressure drop of the 5.5, but at the flow levels of the stock turbo the 3.5 will already be a pretty low pressure drop.

I have the 3.5, btw.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
The reason why thats a bad analogy is because since it takes longer to fill up the extra volume they will only fill up to that same pressure IF no air is being used while it's filling. If you are using air while it's pumping(like an engine would) , it may never fill all the way up.

But while peak pressure may be the same (or close enough to it, on top of the added lag, the time peak pressure is reached may also be shorter and the too small turbo will likely fall on its face even sooner (albeit slightly)

·
Registered
22 Posts
The reason why thats a bad analogy is because since it takes longer to fill up the extra volume they will only fill up to that same pressure IF no air is being used while it's filling. If you are using air while it's pumping(like an engine would) , it may never fill all the way up.

But while parakeet pressure may be the same (or close enough to it, on top of the added lag, the time peak pressure is reached may also be shorter and the too small turbo will likely fall on its face even sooner (albeit slightly)

This would only be true if the engine was pulling more air than the turbo can keep up with, which it is not (that's why you have boost in the first place).

Again, it will take slightly longer to fill the volume, but once that has happened there will be no difference for the turbo, aside from being in a slightly better point on the compressor map from having to spin very slightly slower to make the same boost at the intake manifold (due to decreased pressure drop at the IC).

Has anybody actually done an apples/apples comparison of boost response with the 3.5 vs the 5.5? A quick search didn't turn up anything, but I may not have used the right search terms.

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
This would only be true if the engine was pulling more air than the turbo can keep up with, which it is not (that's why you have boost in the first place).

Again, it will take slightly longer to fill the volume, but once that has happened there will be no difference for the turbo, aside from being in a slightly better point on the compressor map from having to spin very slightly slower to make the same boost at the intake manifold (due to decreased pressure drop at the IC).

Has anybody actually done an apples/apples comparison of boost response with the 3.5 vs the 5.5? A quick search didn't turn up anything, but I may not have used the right search terms.
Indeed, I too have a 3.5 (CPE) and the difference is negligible between the two and aside from weight complains most people who run the Beast are more than happy with the cooling to object to the tiny little lag increase. If anything it helps them save tires and gas LOL and most people who buy it aside from aesthetics are probably going BT anyway or the baby was sold out. I'll admit it looks awesome tucked away in there being as huge as it is lol

·
Registered
304 Posts
i NEEEED one of these 3.5in Depo IC's :'(

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
But while parakeet pressure may be the same (or close enough to it, on top of the added lag, the time peak pressure is reached may also be shorter and the too small turbo will likely fall on its face even sooner (albeit slightly)
GettyImages-182203416-58a6e95d3df78c345b622ae9.jpg

Reactions: angrychair

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
i NEEEED one of these 3.5in Depo IC's :'(
This is the problem, they are such a good value that they go quickly. Best bet is to have the money ready and as soon as they come back in Stock snatched one up right away!

The good news is that even though they are out of stock, you won't have to wait as long with as many delays as the Mishimoto guys did...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts