Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My winter wheels have developed slight rust staining that I can't seem to get off. Scrubbing with a blue sponge has taken some of the light rust off, but I can't get it all off. I currently use diluted Simple Green to clean my wheels. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what have you done to remedy it? See pictures below and the link below to my winter wheels. Thank you.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=wheelCloseUp&wheelMake=MSW&wheelModel=Type+14&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted
IMG_20170413_174304.jpg IMG_20170413_174321.jpg

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
It is just brake dust. It has some iron in it, and the iron rusts. You need a iron removing wheel cleaner. If you don't have that you could try a real wheel cleaner. Nothing is going to be a spray on rinse off though. You will need a wheel brush, probably something small to get in that corner.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some DUB wheel cleaner. I'll try that. Any products in particular you recommend? Any issues with using Simple Green on the wheels?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Dub would be good. Don't let it dry, but let it dwell long enough to turn colors. Agitate with a brush and rinse off.
I would not use simple green on anything but that's me. It's very corrosive on unprotected metal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts