Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my ST for 6 days now, just over 500 miles. It's got some rust building up on what appears to be the inner CV joint (passenger side). It looks like there's something leaking from up top. It hasn't been raining here, nor have I driven through puddles. Is this something I should look to get cleaned up, or maybe take it in to make sure something isn't leaking?

Thanks!

CV.jpg

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've had my ST for 6 days now, just over 500 miles. It's got some rust building up on what appears to be the inner CV joint (passenger side). It looks like there's something leaking from up top. It hasn't been raining here, nor have I driven through puddles. Is this something I should look to get cleaned up, or maybe take it in to make sure something isn't leaking?

Thanks!

View attachment 239666
I have had my ST for a couple months and have been under many times. This is a part that is going to have rust on it. Do not worry about it.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I have 60k, there are a lot of parts under there that will rust. Just a fact of life. I remember saying the same thing you said when my car was new.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,531 Posts
That's an untreated cast iron piece; it's going to have surface rust. It will probably just wipe off.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Just wait, the first time you get under your car to change oil or install a part you'll see a TON of parts with rust on them and you'll be like oh my god this Ford is junk before realizing that they are all untreated and the rust will NEVER eat through them in the life of the car. Wipes/scrubs right off.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I did the same thing when I looked under the back. Exhaust hanger and passenger side sway bar end link is rusty. 1200 miles purchased with 45 miles end of April so I too was surprised at rust this early outside of winter in the North.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Unfortunately the days of cars being built to last are long gone. Its way cheaper to use unplated parts/fasteners. But honestly the part wont fail and the bolts wont rust trough in the life of the car unless its a consumable item like the exhaust

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I was just kind of curious of how the rust got there. But I remembered that it had been raining in the weeks prior so it could've gotten rusted from test drives or sitting at the lot. Although I don't look forward to seeing all of the rust, I guess it something we all have to live with!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Get under a new f250 and see whats rusted. It will blow your mind. Completely normal. Where I work we get brand new trucks off the carrier and they have as much if not more rust.

·
Registered
816 Posts
My car is turning into a rust box. Trading it in soon though so I won't care. New England weather is brutal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts