Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually I'd just listen to what my tuner says because they are the pros, but this confused me. I'm currently running a stage 1/2 tune (I guess)...mods are depo intercooler and aem dryflow filter. The tune I have gets up to 24psi. I'm currently running itv22 plugs and my tuner is saying switch to the stock ones. Won't I blow my motor?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Usually I'd just listen to what my tuner says because they are the pros, but this confused me. I'm currently running a stage 1/2 tune (I guess)...mods are depo intercooler and aem dryflow filter. The tune I have gets up to 24psi. I'm currently running itv22 plugs and my tuner is saying switch to the stock ones. Won't I blow my motor?
One step colder plugs won't hurt at all and are a precaution, especially since on the STOCK TUNE we are almost in need of one step colder IIRC. However, typically the advice we give here is "if your tuner says do this then do it." If it is a reputable tuner, and you trust what he is doing and he isn't running an extremely aggressive tune, then I'm sure he knows what he is doing. However, it won't make enough of a difference that it should even matter that you are using the one step colder plugs...if anything it is extra safety cushion.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I run two step colder in my big turbo st and one step colder in my stock 2.0 ecoboost explorer. The explorer runs great with the step colder plugs and I did this since it is under boost quite a bit hauling around that 4600lb beast.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
I run stock rating plugs on big turbo, no issues. When it gets very hot here I may swap them out to step colder.

There is probably a reason your tuner wants you to swap them, so I would swap them. FYI I run over 24psi all the way to redline on my big turbo on stock plugs, so no it will not insta blow your motor.

·
Registered
395 Posts
find a new tuner

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you asked him why he recommends stock plugs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts