Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm new to the Focus ST I wanted to ask about this before I freak out and run to the stealership for no reason. I've been noticing my car making a rumbling sound with some vibrations once I'm up past 50mph. I really noticed it Monday driving 4.5 hours home down I40. It sounds like it's coming from the rear but I can't be certain. Then again it felt like it was in the front based on the steering wheel wiggling. The car only has 26xx miles on it. Is this normal with the low profile tires maybe?? Anyone else have this sort of issue before?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Stupid question, but do you have any cargo loose under the hatch? If so take it out, and look under the floor panel to see if the spare is loose while you're at it. Oh, and if you're driving in a crosswind you'll hear some strange sounds and vibrations. I noticed this a couple of months ago and started a thread about it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The 'rumble' is a problem with any hatchback car. (vs a sedan)
The large open space (Even with the acoustically transparent) hatch cover in place just lets a low frequency rumble exist.
SO yes, the rumble is typical of the ST under some conditions.

One way to help cut the low frequency rumble is to coat the inner body in the back with an audio dampening materials.Particularly the side body panels back there under the plastic. Doing the hatch inside under the plastic..
Dynamat in the sides of the hatch area.. Also the underside of the hatch cargo shelf. And the underside of the over the tire cover. Important also around in the spare tire area. Even inside the plastic of the rear doors can help

Cheapest way to help is Fill UP the cargo area with light but fluffy stuff. A big fluffy blanket in a plastic container. rolls of paper towels. A fluffy jacket in a sealed bag.
Anything to fill up the space in back under and in the hatch area.
These will not end the rumble. but may help lower the volume of it.

I am an audiophile, (like yeah, a home audio system which cost way more than my ST3 did) and actually do not ever play music in the car. So I just listen to the car road noises... The low frequency rumble is a part of owning a hatch. Period.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Stupid question, but do you have any cargo loose under the hatch? If so take it out, and look under the floor panel to see if the spare is loose while you're at it. Oh, and if you're driving in a crosswind you'll hear some strange sounds and vibrations. I noticed this a couple of months ago and started a thread about it.
Every time I hear that stupid crosswind sound I think something is going wrong and freak out. At first I thought it was when I road on a road with a certain crowning angle to it, then the one day on the freeway I realized it HAS to be wind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts