Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Which will you use, or want to use, on your RS?

• SCT

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Cobb AP

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • HP Tuners

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HP Tuners is now offering tuning for the Focus RS.

I'm unaware of the two main tuners available for the ST, as to what is available for the RS.

SCT
Cobb AP
HP Tuners

Having a S10 tuned with HP Tuners and a ST that once I go BT will have a Cobb APv3, I just want to know what RS owners are planning on using, and why?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Doesnt matter what tuner u use to tune with. It all falls on the person tuning ur car and the experence they have tuning the car. They are all the same **** some have more features. Im one of those that if u set it u forget it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally, I'd sit and wait a bit.

Does HP Tuners have any EcoBoost experience?
They recently started in on the EcoBoost engines with the F150. Still waiting on them to work with the SHO. However, they just released support for the RS and soon the ST. The only thing is, the don't have anything like what Cobb has in lieu of a Realtime Visual device that can data log, and allow for on the fly map switching. However, from a recently argument I got into with some local guys, a person of interest with HP said he can't discuss or say anything except that people should keep an eye out. Currently, if you have HP Tuners, and a nGauge setup, you can store multiple tunes on the nGauge and load tunes from that. The devices is a 3rd party device from HP Tuners, and serves as a display and logging devices.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
They recently started in on the EcoBoost engines with the F150. Still waiting on them to work with the SHO. However, they just released support for the RS and soon the ST. The only thing is, the don't have anything like what Cobb has in lieu of a Realtime Visual device that can data log, and allow for on the fly map switching. However, from a recently argument I got into with some local guys, a person of interest with HP said he can't discuss or say anything except that people should keep an eye out. Currently, if you have HP Tuners, and a nGauge setup, you can store multiple tunes on the nGauge and load tunes from that. The devices is a 3rd party device from HP Tuners, and serves as a display and logging devices.
Ah, I'd go with better hardware then. Out of those choices, I think Cobb offers the best hardware package.

Just wait until more reputable tuners start working on the rs, none of these options are good
I agree with waiting. I wouldn't jump to a Cobb OTS tune. I know tuners are getting into the RS already and best bet would be to wait and buy a device from them, with their tunes.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Ah, I'd go with better hardware then. Out of those choices, I think Cobb offers the best hardware package.

I agree with waiting. I wouldn't jump to a Cobb OTS tune. I know tuners are getting into the RS already and best bet would be to wait and buy a device from them, with their tunes.
That's what I'm waiting for. The OTS tunes are extremely conservative (a fact that a lot of people seem to willingly forget when it suits their argument against the RS).
Cobb's dyno video showed barely any changes to timing on the dyno with their development tune and we already know that Ford has left a lot to be desired in return for refinement.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Panda's location is in my area. They're waiting on Cobb to release the product for tuning the RS. currently, HP Tuners has released the ability to tune the RS (I got into a heated debate with locals in a FB group about Cobb vs HP Tuners & why).

Currently:
Cobb used to charge $150 for their software to tune the AP for custom tunes. NOW, it's $150 a month subscription fee. The fee is for one make, and goes up from there, to the max make vehicles at $250 a month. Included in that price in teaching you how to properly use the software. That being said, only authorized tuners are now allowed to purchase the software. If you have the software and want to mess with your own tune, good luck. Aside from this, you have the ability to visually monitor up to six realtime values for various sensors without having to install additional gauges. Not to mention you can switch between tunes on the fly.
Cobb APv3 + Tuning Software or Purchase Custom tunes = you're set! No extra gauges needed, and you can data log whenever while monitoring your sensors.

HP Tuners, charges about $600 for the beginners course on how to use their software. Then another $600 for the advanced course. Then $600ish for a new HP Tuners Pro dongle for tuning. The dongle can be used for multiple vehicles, up to a max number. Then you have to buy a new one. If you want some of the capabilities like what Cobb has, you'll have to purchase a "nGauge" device from a 3rd party vendor. You can load multiple tunes on it, and view multiple realtime values of various sensors. The "nGauge" works with the HP Tuners adapter/software in which you can do logging as well, and other presets.
HP Tuners Pro + Laptop + nGauge (+ tune/s if you don't tune yourself)

Futrue:
After my argument with some local guys. It turns out HP Tuners may (speculative, as to what was said) release a product so that HP Tuners users wont have to rely on a 3rd party vendor for the nGauge. So take it for what it is, HP Tuners didn't care much at the time of the ST's release, but wanted to be the first out for the RS. They have, but lack the "End User's" want for a device like Cobb's. You have to make a product the user wants, if you don't, then what do you expect to gain if a competitor offers it instead?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts