Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have done this I'm curious what you paid to have it painted. I got one off eBay and put it together last night. After work I got a quote from a company across the street and it was double what I was expecting. So if y'all don't mind sharing what you paid I would appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
Are used to own a Mustang and had a few parts painted for it by a local shop. I had window louvers painted, that cost me $70. And a front bumper and ducktail spoiler which cost me about $300. So I would guess anywhere from $100 to $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just guessing $200
Are used to own a Mustang and had a few parts painted for it by a local shop. I had window louvers painted, that cost me $70. And a front bumper and ducktail spoiler which cost me about $300. So I would guess anywhere from $100 to $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the replies. I was quoted $750 for prep and paint. I've not had to get body work quotes before so I wasn't sure what to expect but I figured this guy probably wasn't interested in the job so gave me a high number to run me off.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I was quoted $750 for prep and paint. I've not had to get body work quotes before so I wasn't sure what to expect but I figured this guy probably wasn't interested in the job so gave me a high number to run me off.

that's way too high IMO, unless they are charging $100/hr for labor, which I guarantee they aren't because insurance companies have driven autobody hourly rates down compared to mechanic rates. Sounds like they don't really want your business.

But how is the fit and quality of the wing? That is what we really want to know!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I was quoted $750 for prep and paint.
that does seem crazy expensive just to body fill the logos and paint just a spoiler... I would definitely call around and get a few more estimates, shouldn't cost more than $100-$150 for just the paint a maybe a couple of extra hours to fill in the RS logos... (and most of that time would be waiting for the body filler to dry/harden) personally I wouldn't pay a dime over $300, and that would be if I didn't know a guy or two that would do it for half of that if paid cash.

pretty sure you are right that he just didn't want to be "bothered" with it so he quoted you a crazy price hoping that you would walk and in case you did pay that he would laugh his way to the bank.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Where you live can make a big difference in costs. A body shop in NYC will always charge more than teenage loving Alabama backwoods... Seattle costs almost 2x for paint or powder coating vs driving an hour outside the city... $750, not out of this world for a major city.. But you should always get a few estimates and also be willing to try a smaller suburb too.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's way too high IMO, unless they are charging $100/hr for labor, which I guarantee they aren't because insurance companies have driven autobody hourly rates down compared to mechanic rates. Sounds like they don't really want your business.

But how is the fit and quality of the wing? That is what we really want to know!
Well it's an eBay product which I've found to be hit and miss. I'd say this is a miss. It comes unassembled due to shipping purposes. So it's takes two people or one person with five arms to assemble. Or maybe I'm an idiot. I noticed during assembly it wasn't symmetricaly perfect and I thought it just needed some fiddling with. When bolted to the car it doesn't line up perfect. It will take more adjusting to get it to where you would have to actually look to find problems. I'll get more pictures when I get in tonight of the gap variations between the sides and the roof/hatch.

But it was $120. I had high hopes but honestly it's about what I expected. In hindsight I would have bought the rebel devil one to be honest.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where you live can make a big difference in costs. A body shop in NYC will always charge more than teenage loving Alabama backwoods... Seattle costs almost 2x for paint or powder coating vs driving an hour outside the city... $750, not out of this world for a major city.. But you should always get a few estimates and also be willing to try a smaller suburb too.
I'm in Louisville Kentucky so I wouldn't think that would have much to do with the price. Saturday I plan to spend the morning driving to body shops.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Definitely too much. I paid 200 to paint my ebay spoiler for my old civic. Significantly less complicated geometry. If you google 2004 ES1 spoiler, it was the factory one from that car. Since that was much simpler and less material, I imagine the same guy would quote me maybe 300 for an RS spoiler? 400 tops maybe.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This is the quote I got today on my way home.

I'm going to get one more on Saturday. I want this thing done asap. I feel like one of them kids that puts type r badges on a Civic DX.

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts
Who is the seller you bought it from on easy? I got mine through extreme auto sales. Good quality wing. Good fit to. Just had to add some washers during install.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I'm in Louisville Kentucky so I wouldn't think that would have much to do with the price. Saturday I plan to spend the morning driving to body shops.

Pm sent

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get some bondo and do the fill and sand yourself
Got your pm and thank you.

I'm a heating and air guy by trade. If the panel that needed filling was flat (like dry wall) I could do it but I'm not smart enough to take this on. There's no way I could fill the logo and match the curve.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Got your pm and thank you.

I'm a heating and air guy by trade. If the panel that needed filling was flat (like dry wall) I could do it but I'm not smart enough to take this on. There's no way I could fill the logo and match the curve.

It's not really that much harder... Just sanding, you only need to fill in the logo, and then sand down to the edges of the logo. Once you sand it down enough you should be able to still fully see the RS logo but flat filled with body filler. Then the last coat will be very light and sand enough so it doesn't stick out. It may take a bunch of tries, but you can always sand it back down (just don't over sand down the spoiler body itself) if you can sand down drywall and make it smooth, you already have 90% of the skills needed to do this. Just need a little practice.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I bought the rs wing off ebay, it is actually very nice quality and test fitted perfect... I dropped it off at a local bodyshop today to get it paint matched and the rs filled in, it was 277.50. I pick it up saturday ill post pics when i pick it up.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took the car to a body shop today near where I live and was quoted ~$400 to fill in the logo, paint and hopefully make it fit better. He said since it came out of a mold it could be tweaked from that. The driver side fit kinda sucks but the passenger looks good. He said he's a week out but he'll call me when he's ready. Hopefully he's true to his word.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts