Ford Focus ST Forum banner

301 - 307 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
JP
finally installed my snorkel. I wish everything i bought was so thoroughly thought out and thoughtfully packaged. Excellent work.
Thank you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I got my snorkel installed a week ago and I wanted to take some time to give my feedback on the product and installation. Overall, I am really pleased with it. Well built and there is a definite difference in throttle response and turbo spooling. At WOT I haven't noticed anything, but I didn't really expect to. In day to day driving, there is a definite difference. No change in sound, other than increased BPV sound outside the car.

I have some tips on the install that I feel can be really helpful. I had planned on trying to do the install without taking the front cover off but decided I wasn't going to do a crap job if it became a chore. Installing this without the cover removal I would not recommend. On that note, I didn't take the whole cover off because you don't have to. I removed the clips on the upper bumper cover and the hood release cable. I removed the headlights which are only two phillips screws. I then pushed the two tabs on the front cover down (where the headlights were). Once that was done, I remove a couple of screws from the fender liner and popped the cover from the fender. Once this was done, it allowed the entire front cover to come away from the front of the car by about 6 inches. I reached in and pushed in the two tabs to release the rubber radiator shroud (the one that we are cutting into) and easily removed it from the car. I took it to my workbench, used the included blueprints, and cut the whole for the snorkel. I re-installed the rubber shroud, fed the snorkel through the hole, and attached it to the car. After that, I cleaned the bottom of the snorkel with an alcohol wipe and put the rubber pad underneath the end of the snorkel to rest on the shroud. It probably wasn't needed, but I figure the extra support wouldn't hurt and you can't see it unless you really look for it. I got the cover re-attached in about 2 minutes and I didn't have to worry about the engine cover, etc.

Well done Rocket Science. My only suggestion is to maybe add some basic install instructions with the product (with regard to the cover). Then again, if you are installing this yourself you probably shouldn't need it! Hope this helps everyone.

Reactions: RocketST

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #303 (Edited)
I got my snorkel installed a week ago and I wanted to take some time to give my feedback on the product and installation. Overall, I am really pleased with it. Well built and there is a definite difference in throttle response and turbo spooling. At WOT I haven't noticed anything, but I didn't really expect to. In day to day driving, there is a definite difference. No change in sound, other than increased BPV sound outside the car.

I have some tips on the install that I feel can be really helpful. I had planned on trying to do the install without taking the front cover off but decided I wasn't going to do a crap job if it became a chore. Installing this without the cover removal I would not recommend. On that note, I didn't take the whole cover off because you don't have to. I removed the clips on the upper bumper cover and the hood release cable. I removed the headlights which are only two phillips screws. I then pushed the two tabs on the front cover down (where the headlights were). Once that was done, I remove a couple of screws from the fender liner and popped the cover from the fender. Once this was done, it allowed the entire front cover to come away from the front of the car by about 6 inches. I reached in and pushed in the two tabs to release the rubber radiator shroud (the one that we are cutting into) and easily removed it from the car. I took it to my workbench, used the included blueprints, and cut the whole for the snorkel. I re-installed the rubber shroud, fed the snorkel through the hole, and attached it to the car. After that, I cleaned the bottom of the snorkel with an alcohol wipe and put the rubber pad underneath the end of the snorkel to rest on the shroud. It probably wasn't needed, but I figure the extra support wouldn't hurt and you can't see it unless you really look for it. I got the cover re-attached in about 2 minutes and I didn't have to worry about the engine cover, etc.

Well done Rocket Science. My only suggestion is to maybe add some basic install instructions with the product (with regard to the cover). Then again, if you are installing this yourself you probably shouldn't need it! Hope this helps everyone.
Nice work BB. That's an excellent approach. There are a few different install techniques described on the "Q&A" Thread, but your method is a nice synthesis. Thanks for posting it up. JP

Ed.: Reposted at the "Rocket Science CAI Snorkel Q&A Thread"

·
Registered
2,910 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,423 Posts
301 - 307 of 307 Posts