Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I picked up a '16 Magnetic ST3 in June, looking to make some upgrades and I found an RS intercooler for sale locally and wondered if it would be a good upgrade over the stock ST intercooler and if it would fit? It seems to have the same size inlet/outlet of 2.5", any info greatly appreciated.

Hope you all had a good Christmas and have a Happy New Year.

IMG_3329.JPG IMG_3330.JPG

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Unless you're gonna get it for $20 or near free. There are many better aftermarket units out there that offer more performance. Don't waste your time. RS ≠ better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Mitch, its on craigslist locally and the guy has it up for $100, the dimensions in the description is very close to the Depo 3.5" which was what I was planning on getting.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Thanks for your reply Mitch, its on craigslist locally and the guy has it up for $100, the dimensions in the description is very close to the Depo 3.5" which was what I was planning on getting.
Just save a few extra bucks, and get the Depo Racing one. Cause the only reason buddy's selling the one off his RS, is cause he probbally upgraded too.. :wink:

·
Registered
797 Posts
The only thing I'd be a little worried about is pipe fitment, otherwise for $100, hell why not? Ford puts a block off plate in front of the RS intercooler stock because it's slightly too efficient for the engine in some climates. On an ST with the smaller turbo I bet it'd work just great. Hell when I bought my FMIC, there were barely any options around at the time and so I had to nut up for the Cobb one.

Reactions: STallion18

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just save a few extra bucks, and get the Depo Racing one. Cause the only reason buddy's selling the one off his RS, is cause he probbally upgraded too.. :wink:
Its for the wife's daily/family car, I figured it would be a cheap upgrade to help the engine breath some cooler air here in Phoenix, I don't see the car going past a stage 1 if it even gets that far. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing I'd be a little worried about is pipe fitment, otherwise for $100, hell why not? Ford puts a block off plate in front of the RS intercooler stock because it's slightly too efficient for the engine in some climates. On an ST with the smaller turbo I bet it'd work just great. Hell when I bought my FMIC, there were barely any options around at the time and so I had to nut up for the Cobb one.
That was my thinking, the dimensions are pretty much the same as the Depo 3.5, the charge pipe diameter is the same, it must be better than stock and probably efficient enough for a mildly modded car. I don't plan on going further than an intake, FMIC and a stage 1 tune, right now it only has a green filter with no cap.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mounting it may be an issue, but I am sure you could get creative with it and make it work. MAP sensor appears to be the same from pictures, so it should be plug and play there.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
For 100$ I would do it. It came off a Focus and going on one so I doubt mounting will be an issue. It will be bigger since the car is push more power in stock form, close to Depot racing anyway, and given DD car, sounds like a win to me. The ST's OEM inter-cooler is well documented to be on the weak side.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It won't work. Already had a local try it and the positioning of the piping was 2-3 inches off.

[EDIT] This is his exact quote "So...it turns out an RS intercooler won't fit an ST....its longer and misses by 2". Don't ask me how I know."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It won't work. Already had a local try it and the positioning of the piping was 2-3 inches off.

[EDIT] This is his exact quote "So...it turns out an RS intercooler won't fit an ST....its longer and misses by 2". Don't ask me how I know."
Thanks for the info, I figured someone had to have tried this, looks like I'll stick with the Depo Racing 3.5".

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for the info, I figured someone had to have tried this, looks like I'll stick with the Depo Racing 3.5".
It will fit. The pipes will be at the very outside of the space they go through to attach to the intercooler. I work as a tech at our local Ford dealer and my parts manager has a 2016 st. He installed the rs intercooler. Other than the charge pipes being tight to get through he said it is a direct bolt in. Also he said from watching the forums that his charge temps are only 2-3 degrees more than with the mountune unit when comparing notes with similarly equipped cars in the same environment. Not too mention the rs intercooler is less than 300 Canadian right from the dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I might give this a try I'm a tech at a Ford dealer and can get into a rs intercooler for about $230, With that being said I'm not looking for a full on intercooler upgrade as I'm still stock and only have a montune intake for more noise. I've been eye balling the steeda street, but cant justify the cost being mostly stock. I'm also looking a water-meth injection down the road so that will really help with keeping my IATs down

Edit------ European-Parts - Intercooler Focus MK3 RS

Link for those wondering about the size difference between the st and rs intercoolers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rs intercooler showed up took some measurements, core size is 7 3/4-24 1/4-3 1/4= 610.79 in3. The factory core is only around 400 in3 so if I can fit it should be a great upgrade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So install is a bit of a pain the attachment points are about 2 inches further out than the ST intercooler so you will need to get creative to make it work I made some brackets and extended the radiator core support out. Overall length is the exact same so no issues with fitment there, The active shutter system does need to be removed.

As for the efficiency my before readings 20-110mph run from forscan AAT 63 CACT 134
After RS intercooler was installed 20-120 mph run AAT 60 CACT 100
My CACT is now within 3-6 degrees of the AAT now while cruising where before they were no closer than 10-15

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry for the slow response, piping is exactly the same width tubing and is exactly the same diameter as stock . As for how it looks you really can/t even tell it's there
20170929_193450.jpg 20170929_193417.jpg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts