Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After many of contemplating, I finally took the plunge and installed some Mark2 RS-style hood vents.
Last week, I painted the vents Performance Blue, and applied several coats of clear, all from automotivetouchup.com
DSC00361 by Michael Read, on Flickr
So, after I made two very accurate templates, I started the layout on my hood on Friday. I used some small rare earth magnets to hold the cardboard templates in place while I got the positioning right and symmetrical side to side. You know, measure twice, then measure twice, and measure twice again.
Once the placement was set, I marked the hood.
DSC00363 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Sunday morning, bright and early, and there's no going back. I got up and started by marking my cardboard template "dead center", placed it on the hood, and drilled two holes so that I could verify final clearances. By holding the template on the underside of the hood and lining up the 2 holes, I was able to make sure that I was not going to hit any under hood bracing. Once I knew 100% that my placement was perfect, I removed the hood and set it on a work area with a moving blanket, then taped-off the entire hood with blue painter's tape. I outlined the areas to be cut-out with some yellow masking tape, just so my old eyes could see it better.
I used a step drill on the corners. No going back now!
DSC00368 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Now, repeat after me: "It's only metal. It's only metal. It's only metal. Let the cutting begin!"
DSC00374 by https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4526/38090447272_72dab7d539_k.jpg[/img][/url]DSC00371 by Michael Read, on Flickr
DSC00378 by Michael Read, on Flickr
I used a Dremel tool with a reinforced cutoff wheel, several wheels actually. An angle grinder would have been faster, but "fast" wasn't as important to me as "accurate and mistake free".
DSC00380 by Michael Read, on Flickr
One side cut.
DSC00381 by Michael Read, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
You put installed in the title then don't show us the installed pic. That's wrong, just wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention that I used a step drill on the corners of the cutouts to avoid sharp corners.
Once both sides were cut, I removed some of the tape around the cutouts, temporarily inserted the vents, then went around the outside of the vents with some 1/8" fineline tape.
DSC00394 by Michael Read, on Flickr
DSC00395 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Then I remasked up to about 1/8" from the cutout and hit the cut edges with a couple of light coats of Performance Blue paint, top and bottom.
DSC00393 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Once the paint was dry, I reinstalled the heat shield and marked the cutouts on the foam. I carefully cut the insulation with a utility knife blade, then sprayed the exposed foam with several coats of PlastiDip.
This is the only PlastiDip that you will ever find on my car!
I used 3M acrylic double-sided tape--the good stuff from an autobody supply, not the crap that you ca get at Walmart. I used 3M #94 adhesive primer on the mounting flange on the vents, and them once dry, applied the 3M tape.
I also applied the primer to the hood mounting area (that's what the fineline tape was for). Once the primer was dry, I installed the vents in the holes.
I waited a solid 24 hours before I reinstalled the hood.
The finished product:
DSC00396 - Copy by Michael Read, on Flickr
DSC00397 by Michael Read, on Flickr
All in all, a stressful, but fun and rewarding project, and I'm thrilled with how it came out.
Don't be afraid to do this. Remember--It's only metal...on your $28,000 car.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Patience, Grasshopper!

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: elyk864

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the double posts--my computer was acting wonky last night.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It looks amazing! Great job Im just curious are these types of vents ok to have out when it's raining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
People always freak about water getting under-hood. I wash my under-hood area every time that I wash my car; you just don't want to blast everything with a pressure washer. Where mine are located, you certainly would not want an open airbox lid, but I run with my lid on anyway. If you drive in the rain, your engine compartment is getting sprayed. You could always save the foam cutouts from the insulation and make plugs if you are that concerned.

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's an awful lot of bracing in that area that you'd have to contend with.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
not a big fan of the Evo style large vents. also bracing aside, it would really depend on which year your ST was, I really don't think it would look good with the Mk 3.5 raised cowl hood but might fit better with the Mk 3.0 flat hood. hands down if you have the newer hood, the dual vents look the best with one off to each side of the raised section. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to do RS, Mustang, or Jag style. I didn't thing the Jag style would look good at all until I some a pic of somebody's.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reposted photos from flickr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts