Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I think it is a good enough reason not to buy a 1st gen car... RS has been nothing but issues. Diff issues, engine block cracking issues, head gaskets, sure the list could be added to.

I am glad I didn't wait around for the hype that never came to light, very happy ST owner

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Got a local guy here that's friends with @Stealth. Car blew up from gasket, Ford denied repair and it sits broken while he sues lol. I'm so glad I left mine on the lot and never looked back

·
Registered
917 Posts
I believe Ford corrected the head gasket issue with the 2017 model year.

·
Registered
222 Posts
There are stock 2017 models failing also, no one is safe unfortunately. They are on version C of the headgasket with some small differences.

It would be nice to know exactly why they are failing from Ford so we can address this ourselves, that's why there's a hard push from the RS forums to make this public and find out why.

Until then I'll continue to do exactly what I do now and enjoy the hell out of this thing! I have a great relationship with sales and service @ my dealer and if the time comes we'll do the dance...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No they've done no revisions. The problem is the open deck block. Cylinders move and break the seal with head gasket.
Uggg that sounds like a nightmare. Having to completely change the block to fix this issue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,568 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Installing a block guard will fix it. Sad that a new 50k car has old Honda issues lol. Ford knows why there is a issue and installed them on their Ford Performance aftermarket blocks.

Ford Rolls Out The EcoBeast Crate Short Block At SEMA
I love this lol. Oh btw, we do have a block that can handle more boost for a small fee . . . God forbid someone just tries to get a bit more out of the stock block. From what I read though people are having issues with it bone stock. Ridiculous. How much power can our 2.0 block handle? I know the rods and pistons are the limiting factor but what about the block alone? Is 600+ crazy? Obviously you would spin down the entire track but more power is more power right? Lol.

'14 ST TB
Roush Cold Air Intake
SCT X4

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I love this lol. Oh btw, we do have a block that can handle more boost for a small fee . . . God forbid someone just tries to get a bit more out of the stock block. From what I read though people are having issues with it bone stock. Ridiculous. How much power can our 2.0 block handle? I know the rods and pistons are the limiting factor but what about the block alone? Is 600+ crazy? Obviously you would spin down the entire track but more power is more power right? Lol.

'14 ST TB
Roush Cold Air Intake
SCT X4
There's guys making 550+ whp on stock 2.0 block with forged internals. Look at the difference.

complete-short-block-build-kit_2f3a34e4-0311-40dd-86c4-0606446b9f17_large.jpg

IMG_20170325_170257.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
but isn't this basically the same engine that's in the Mustang? don't see anything about the Mustang having this issue
I would assume the mustang guys would be fearful of being blasted for not getting a 5.0 and wouldn't post in forums about the 2.3L

'14 ST TB
Roush Cold Air Intake
SCT X4

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
296 Posts
LoL
Search blown motor thread for the ST before you rag on the RS.
Once again Alex comes through to explain the issues and thats why he is the tuner for me.
FYI i have TT my first gen ST for 5 years straight with no blown motors, transmissions etc. Its tuned by Alex and every thing we have done has a data trail to follow. You need to be reasonable in your expectations and with you driving. It seems that the individuals that track the platform have the fewest issues.
I just purchased a 2017 RS. It will go to the track but not as much as the ST. Why, I have to much money invested in the ST. At my home track in my class the RS and my ST finished 1,2, drivers aside the RS is still faster. They are both great track cars and not just because they are quick, there are many other reasons.
Next year Alex and I will do a solid push at beating the RS. We have solved the overheating issue (thanks CSF) and can now move to the bigger turbo. I can't wait till next spring. I'll be posting the findings on the over heating issue shortly. Till then enjoy your drive and quite ragging on it. BRZ/ FRS at the track (Numerous) have issues also, you run it hard you'll find it, its only a matter of time.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You should at least throw a tune and filter on the RS @GoGo you'd be amazed at the difference. Alex has also tuned my ST and RS, I couldn't agree more about his excellent knowledge on the ecoboost platform and his attention to detail.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts