Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short I messed up my front end on my 2017 ST and its in the repair shop. Insurance estimated over 4 grand in damage and I have a 1k deductable, so if I'm gonna spend a grand on the appearance of my car, I'd like to upgrade if possible. The shop told me that they can get the RS bumper from the ford dealer they work with but he's unsure if it will be a direct fit, or if mounting brackets will need to be modified or anything like that. He's concerned that there will be different parts that will need to be ordered as well. I've done a bunch or reading on the forums but I haven't found anything that makes me feel confident. Most of the threads I've read are talking about the 13-14 body style or going from SE to RS or using an aftermarket kit. I feel like just looking at the cars, the the factory RS bumper should line up perfectly, and that the hood and headlights should not need to be replaced. Obviously the fog lights are different but its the guts that i'm not sure about. Any and all advice on this will be appreciated.

To be clear, I would never spend this much money just to make my car look like an RS, but it just doesn't make sense to me to spend the money to stay stock if I can get a the look I want for the same price. So please no shaming about how this is a waste of money as I've seen people doing in other threads. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
The RS bumper should have all the same attachment points, and the headlights are the same. The fog lights just plug in to a harness, and I bet the connector is the same too.
The lower intercooler opening might look funny if you have the stock intercooler, active shutters, and with shroud, as it isn't going to line up to the openings, and neither is the upper radiator shroud, all that would either have to go, or be replaced with the RS ones.

·
Registered
406 Posts
785101ED-50DD-4C8D-B3E6-54FA9A174D38.jpeg

Yea remove everything behind the bumper. Other then that it’s a perfect fit

Reactions: angrychair

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the active shutters actually necessary?doesn’t seem like it being that I’ve seen so many people with aftermarket intercoolers without them. And I’m not sure if the factory bumper will come with the housings for the fog lights or not and I’m pretty sure the ST ones aren’t the same.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
The active shutters do not fit aftermarket intercoolers, they get in the way. I put mine in the basement along with all the other parts that come off my car when replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So from reading other threads it sounds like they aren’t really necessary at all and don’t effect performance on the stock ic so I’ll prob tell him not to bother ordering the part, will look meaner too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 300138

Yea remove everything behind the bumper. Other then that it’s a perfect fit
When you say remove everything are you also removing the impact bar? The st impact bar is 250 and the rs impact bar is 750. I’d imagine the only difference is strength based on the fact that the RS is a more powerful car needing stronger impact resistance

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Are the active shutters actually necessary?doesn’t seem like it being that I’ve seen so many people with aftermarket intercoolers without them. And I’m not sure if the factory bumper will come with the housings for the fog lights or not and I’m pretty sure the ST ones aren’t the same.
if you replace your FMIC, you'll throw the shutters in the trash like the rest of us do. lol.
Yeah mine are in about 10 pieces after I obliterated them lol

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
When you say remove everything are you also removing the impact bar? The st impact bar is 250 and the rs impact bar is 750. I’d imagine the only difference is strength based on the fact that the RS is a more powerful car needing stronger impact resistance
Impact testing doesn't account for the power that one car generates. Would a z06 or Koenigsegg agera then have a titanium/unobtanium/vibranium bumper beam, hand fabricated by virgins? No. They hit the crash test standards all the same and at the same speeds. It's why we call them standards.

It could simple be a more complex piece to manufacture or a low volume one off piece. Or simple market price adjustments for a higher priced car.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yeah mine are in about 10 pieces after I obliterated them lol
Added note... you don't want the shutters even if you don't upgrade. I have seen them fail and overheat a car, it was only 70 out and mild driving and a car over heated and the cause was failed shutters. this was a car with maybe 20k or less on it and 0 other modifications.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If your smart you'll sell them.

Got $100 for mine on eBay. Helps offset the cost of going aftermarket.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Impact testing doesn't account for the power that one car generates. Would a z06 or Koenigsegg agera then have a titanium/unobtanium/vibranium bumper beam, hand fabricated by virgins? No. They hit the crash test standards all the same and at the same speeds. It's why we call them standards.

It could simple be a more complex piece to manufacture or a low volume one off piece. Or simple market price adjustments for a higher priced car.
Fair enough, does anyone have any insight to wether or not I can get away with the ST piece?

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts

for the shutters? Nice!

I will sell mine once my warranty runs out :D

·
Registered
651 Posts

I'm not glad I took mine off the right way (without breaking it). I'm not sure how people have such a hard time getting this thing off? Once all the BS is out of the way, drop the stock FMIC, lift up on the shutters and it drops right out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts