Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took an RS for a test-drive and the exhaust popping and backfires between shifts in sport mode were intoxicating! Any way to make the ST do this?

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's afterfire. Running richer between shifts would achieve this. The engineers tuned the cars specifically to do this, even though they admit it's actually less efficient.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Stratified's loud Pops and crackle tune does this. On every shift at a certain RPM and even on deceleration. I've also had the Medium crackles option and I'll be honest, I could barely tell a difference from my tune without it. I'd definitely recommend the loud pops and crackles tune if you want to hear it when you shift. I have a depo catless DP with the stock catback with the resonator deleted. Sounds awesome!! I love it. I did notice a horrible drop in MPG's though. But worth it for me!! More smiles per gallon here :)

Reactions: Ohhhsoginger

·
Registered
200 Posts
Stratified's loud Pops and crackle tune does this. On every shift at a certain RPM and even on deceleration. I've also had the Medium crackles option and I'll be honest, I could barely tell a difference from my tune without it. I'd definitely recommend the loud pops and crackles tune if you want to hear it when you shift. I have a depo catless DP with the stock catback with the resonator deleted. Sounds awesome!! I love it. I did notice a horrible drop in MPG's though. But worth it for me!! More smiles per gallon here :)
How bad was the mpg drop?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have the Stratified Loud pops and crackles and found absolutely no difference in MPG. Had the original loud ones for 6 months now the loud ones and no change for me. I imagine if you change your driving habbits by revving higher then letting off to make it pop more then you will reduce your fuel economy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
How bad was the mpg drop?
I haven't changed my driving habits at all, and still drive the same route to work and back. I've only run a few tanks so far but I don't hand calculate. I only do city driving as there isn't much highways here on Maui, so maybe that has something to do with it, as I'm always stopping. Usually I can go around 2 weeks or so before I get to quarter tank (which is when I fill up) before I flashed the loud pops tune and now I have to fill up every week or so. Maybe a week and a half if I carpool to work. But I did notice a difference. I'll try and do a hand calculation next time I fill up. I was averaging around 23 mpg (hand calculation at the pump) before this tune. I could only get around 200 miles or so on a tank before this tune and now i feel like I can't even get that.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The stratified crackle tune actually uses less fuel to get this effect. They modify dfco (delayed fuel cut off) and it's causes these crackles. I used to run it and it's fun for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Freektune can also add the "crackle" effect :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really?? Thats awesome! Im currently tuned by you guys and Im getting a catless dp soon so ill ask Justin if he can add that with the updated tune ill need.

Im glad I read this. You should really add it on your website so more people know this is an option..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts