Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kona Blue 2016 and was thinking of painting the calipers. I think the nitrous blue from the RS would look awesome. Anyone have an idea where you can get something like that? G2 and Duplicolor only seem to have a standard blue color, nothing light and bright.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I didn't see the mustang grabber blue which is really close. The custom option seems pretty excessive for price for caliper paint.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Well I didn't see the mustang grabber blue which is really close. The custom option seems pretty excessive for price for caliper paint.
Buying custom paint, is never affordable in small quantities. Same goes for powder coat. You can even get custom colors for plastidip, and that is like 10x or more vs just buying standard colors from the can. That grabber blue after 100miles with some brake dust on there, behind the wheels, no one will notice.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair points. Grabber blue is damn close to nitrous blue anyways, so you're probably right. No need to spend the extra money on a marginal difference in color that will be dusted up

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, I'm very happy with the results. It's a durable finish that has stayed clean. Like any paint work, the preparation is probably the most important and time consuming.

·
Vendor
81 Posts
Yeah, I'm very happy with the results. It's a durable finish that has stayed clean. Like any paint work, the preparation is probably the most important and time consuming.
Definitely! I'm planning on blasting the calipers to remove the red paint and fully clean the surface when doing them. Did you use any sort of primer? I've got the same paint, and a high temp clear coat as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I put them on a used 3 year old car with 36000 miles. I used brake cleaner and a wire brush to clean the calipers. No primer and no clear coat. This minimal (yet thorough) process has held up well for me on other cars that I've done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is a clamp painted with the Ford blue Enamel and compared to my RS calipers.
It is a slightly darker blue, but for painting the rear calipers I don't think I'll notice the difference from the front to the back.
20190114_174210.jpg
20190114_174155.jpg

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I tried being a little fancier but still didnt get any closer. I ordered a custom mixed spray can (was like $20) in hopes of matching the calipers perfectly based on this paint code:
https://www.focusrs.org/forum/17-focus-rs-appearance/55073-paint-code-rs-blue-2.html#post1284273

My plan was to spray a base of engine enamel, I used the Ford blue as mentioned above and it was close. Then i did a couple coats of custom paint followed by high temp clear and then baked/cured per the clear instructions. Still not a match, from the sample card, i should have gone with a white base vs the dark blue. Again, the front/rear calipers will never be photographed again next to each other and its close enough. On the car, no one pays attention to the rear single pistons when you have a brembo up front

Depending on the lighting, it was close to not a matching, not worth effort of doing multiple layers. The paint has held up though, i was worried about temps and the custom paint not being a high temp paint but my sandwich approach and proper curing seems to be tough enough for the heat that rears see.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that Ford blue posted above is the best bet to just get close without breaking an arm and a leg

Reactions: rambleon84

·
Registered
6 Posts
Remember the RS brakes are powdercoated. So paint will be hard to get an exact match.

Sent from another garage.
The RS brakes are NOT powdercoated. The set I have are off a rolled RS that had 1700 miles. Looks like they use a single stage urethane paint sprayed on. My set has slight over-spray on the rubber dust boots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts