Ford Focus ST Forum banner

RS airbox sound

23K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  MechaHeretic 
#1 ·
Considering buying the RS airbox (with K&N filter) for my ST but have a question. I know it won't make anymore power until I tune it but are you able to hear the turbo with it installed? I'd like just a bit of "whistle". Thanks.

#3 ·
You don't really hear the turbo though, you hear the intake suction mainly. Exhaust work is really the only thing that will enhance the sound of the turbo whistle. Catless downpipe is the best option for that purpose

#6 ·
I agree! You'll get way more turbo blow off noises way. I had it like that until I sold the ST. Paired with a K&N filter the intake was really loud! With the RS box cover you'll only here the suction of air, which sounds cool under WOT but I hear no BOV noises at all in the RS with the stock box because it seals to the hood. You can definitely hear it with the hood open tho.

#29 ·
I just dropped in a green filter in my stock box and I get plenty of sound from the intake. I'm only able to hear the turbo if I have the hood open though.
Second this. I bought a Green Filter (chose it because it was open ended, unlike the K&N or Spectra), installed it without the top of the stock box, and my noise basically doubled. Can't hear the whistle that well, but the intake "whoosh" and the BOV are extremely apparent now, even under medium throttle. Don't really know if it gave me any WHP, but a washable filter is still cheaper in the long run than stock, and the BOV is like music to my ears. Best $50 I've spent on this car so far.

#7 ·
I did the green filter drop in and ran with the lid off for a bit, with the hood closed it's still kinda faint unless you have windows down. I saw all the threads about intake temps and got paranoid so I got the rs airbox, cost me less than $50 because of my shops deal. Also hit up Vellosa Tech for their scratch and dent sale for a wide mouth snorkus. I like the sound under acceleration but if I want more noise I'll do a Boomba adjustable BOV.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the responses. So you get just a little more noise and the only other benefit would be that it looks good. EBay has one for $140. That does come with a filter. So for looks and just a little sound is it worth it? I did change out my resonator to a MagnaFlow resonator but that's all I've done exhaust wise. Not going to mod this car much right now as I like my warranty...

#18 ·
With your license plate blocking off little more than half of the air flow to your FMIC, I'm sure you took off the air box lid because your car need's all the help it can get when there's a huge block in front of the breather system.
I suggest you find a new mounting position for the Plate.

#23 ·
I tried to order one of these on 9/2 for $48.90. After the weekend they sent me an email saying the new price was $66+ and that it had increased on 9/1. Needless to say, they wouldn't match the price on their website, so I canceled the order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.