Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering buying the RS airbox (with K&N filter) for my ST but have a question. I know it won't make anymore power until I tune it but are you able to hear the turbo with it installed? I'd like just a bit of "whistle". Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
You don't really hear the turbo though, you hear the intake suction mainly. Exhaust work is really the only thing that will enhance the sound of the turbo whistle. Catless downpipe is the best option for that purpose

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just dropped in a green filter in my stock box and I get plenty of sound from the intake. I'm only able to hear the turbo if I have the hood open though.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Save some money, just take the ST airbox out....
I agree! You'll get way more turbo blow off noises way. I had it like that until I sold the ST. Paired with a K&N filter the intake was really loud! With the RS box cover you'll only here the suction of air, which sounds cool under WOT but I hear no BOV noises at all in the RS with the stock box because it seals to the hood. You can definitely hear it with the hood open tho.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did the green filter drop in and ran with the lid off for a bit, with the hood closed it's still kinda faint unless you have windows down. I saw all the threads about intake temps and got paranoid so I got the rs airbox, cost me less than $50 because of my shops deal. Also hit up Vellosa Tech for their scratch and dent sale for a wide mouth snorkus. I like the sound under acceleration but if I want more noise I'll do a Boomba adjustable BOV.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses. So you get just a little more noise and the only other benefit would be that it looks good. EBay has one for $140. That does come with a filter. So for looks and just a little sound is it worth it? I did change out my resonator to a MagnaFlow resonator but that's all I've done exhaust wise. Not going to mod this car much right now as I like my warranty...

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. So you get just a little more noise and the only other benefit would be that it looks good. EBay has one for $140. That does come with a filter. So for looks and just a little sound is it worth it? I did change out my resonator to a MagnaFlow resonator but that's all I've done exhaust wise. Not going to mod this car much right now as I like my warranty...
Just completely take out the ST's airbox you'll be happy. IF ANYONE WANTS TO TELL YOU YOUR GOING TO SUCK UP ALL THE HOT ENGINE GOODNESS--- YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.....tell em your not "racecar" yet and go kick rocks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was able to fit a cone filter while leaving the bottom portion of the stock airbox. Sounds good, is inexpensive, and you still at least get the stock ducting into the bottom of the air box.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I just threw a K&N in the stockj air box, left out the end plug. and it made a huge difference in how well you can hear the turbo. especially on light to mid throttle, you can really hear the whistle nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I bought the rs air box at Summit for 145 bucks. My st Air box was broke where it anchors into the battery tray. Looks cool, that's about all.
I broke my stock airbox bracket at the long leg looking mount. I picked up the RS airbox of of eBay for about $60.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
And just to go with those pics, here is what I have with the bottom of the airbox still in:
With your license plate blocking off little more than half of the air flow to your FMIC, I'm sure you took off the air box lid because your car need's all the help it can get when there's a huge block in front of the breather system.
I suggest you find a new mounting position for the Plate.

·
Registered
496 Posts
With your license plate blocking off little more than half of the air flow to your FMIC, I'm sure you took off the air box lid because your car need's all the help it can get when there's a huge block in front of the breather system.
I suggest you find a new mounting position for the Plate.
I'm quite sure I don't know what you are speaking of???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts