Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,913 Posts
The problem is with the throttle pedal assembly. They're bad about sticking sometimes, so you need to remove it, pull it apart (I used small screwdrivers at each of the clip-together points to release it a bit at a time), and put some white lithium grease at the pivot points and locations where things slide together. I had to do this to my 2018's a couple years ago and haven't had a single instance of it climbing since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The problem is with the throttle pedal assembly. They're bad about sticking sometimes, so you need to remove it, pull it apart (I used small screwdrivers at each of the clip-together points to release it a bit at a time), and put some white lithium grease at the pivot points and locations where things slide together. I had to do this to my 2018's a couple years ago and haven't had a single instance of it climbing since.
Thank you! I took it in to the ford dealership and they told me it was the freakin purge valve. Ended up paying $600 for nothing. Wish I woulda found this thread 4 days ago.

·
Super Moderator
1,913 Posts
Wait.. the purge valve is supposed to be a TSB/recall item. They shouldn't have charged you for that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wait.. the purge valve is supposed to be a TSB/recall item. They shouldn't have charged you for that.

I mean they pulled the VIN so I guess it wasn’t in the list of cars that was in the recall. Not really sure. Kinda want to call them and find out.

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,913 Posts
Thank you! I took it in to the ford dealership and they told me it was the freakin purge valve. Ended up paying $600 for nothing. Wish I woulda found this thread 4 days ago.
Oh, and one other thing... this place is an absolute wealth of knowledge. Tons of guys who have trouble-shot virtually any problem you could have with your ST, so in all honesty, the answers are likely already on the forum.. However, the search feature on here is kinda lousy, so the best way to find stuff is to use google, and type in site: focusst.org +"rpm rise", for instance.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Before you pull out and take apart the accelerator pedal assemblely, try using this. It sprays on liquid like pentrating oil and then sets up as grease. I've had very good results with it.
Thank you I’ll give it a shot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh, and one other thing... this place is an absolute wealth of knowledge. Tons of guys who have trouble-shot virtually any problem you could have with your ST, so in all honesty, the answers are likely already on the forum.. However, the search feature on here is kinda lousy, so the best way to find stuff is to use google, and type in site: focusst.org +"rpm rise", for instance.
Thanks man! I appreciate it!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts