Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked through almost every thread about Drone and J-tubes; even researched sizing and what not but one question went unanswered. Will adding a j-tube to my exhaust change the note of the exhaust? Clearly it is changing the frequency to reduce drone but i love the way my exhaust sounds it just drones alot to me. I generally drive with the windows cracked to avoid the "closed container" amplification which helps alot. i want to reduce the drone but love my exhaust, if i dont get a definitive answer if might just try some sound deadening and foam pack which has had mixed reviews across the interwebs.

Any first hand experience with J-tubes is appreciated and any input on sound deadening as well. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I looked through almost every thread about Drone and J-tubes; even researched sizing and what not but one question went unanswered. Will adding a j-tube to my exhaust change the note of the exhaust? Clearly it is changing the frequency to reduce drone but i love the way my exhaust sounds it just drones alot to me. I generally drive with the windows cracked to avoid the "closed container" amplification which helps alot. i want to reduce the drone but love my exhaust, if i dont get a definitive answer if might just try some sound deadening and foam pack which has had mixed reviews across the interwebs.

Any first hand experience with J-tubes is appreciated and any input on sound deadening as well. Thanks everyone.
It will definitely effect it, but you might have to be the guinea pig. I have the Roush exhaust too and I don't find it drones too badly, but when you are on the highway over 120km/h it can be a tad loud.

A J-tube will likely reduce the raspy sound and smooth out the sound. You can also do a small resonator, but not sure where you would put it. Plus you would lose the crackles and pops that you probably love as much as I do.

I'm sure if you put Dynamat in the spare tire area and along the sides, it will help, but not sure how much.

Its kind of hard to have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will definitely effect it, but you might have to be the guinea pig. I have the Roush exhaust too and I don't find it drones too badly, but when you are on the highway over 120km/h it can be a tad loud.

A J-tube will likely reduce the raspy sound and smooth out the sound. You can also do a small resonator, but not sure where you would put it. Plus you would lose the crackles and pops that you probably love as much as I do.

I'm sure if you put Dynamat in the spare tire area and along the sides, it will help, but not sure how much.

Its kind of hard to have your cake and eat it too.
Yeah I would rather deal with the drone than change the exhaust note at all. So I may try some dynamite and call it a day

Tap Tap Tap...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah I would rather deal with the drone than change the exhaust note at all. So I may try some dynamite and call it a day

Tap Tap Tap...
Let me know how you make out with the Dynamat because I would like to do it if it even helps a little

1 - 4 of 4 Posts