Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm on the fence about what brand to go with. I'd prefer a 3" but I'm hung up because of the videos I've seen of some. Take for example I'm highly considering the Roush but I can't shake the feeling that it sounds a lot like a Fartcan. Those who own one I'd love to hear from you. I've been looking at MBRP and Magnaflow American Thunder and would love input on which is the best to avoid sounding like a rice machine.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I'm considering the COBB. The Mountune is nice too, but I believe it's a 2-3/4". I asked a similar question a while back and was told there aren't any fartcan exhaust systems available for our cars (which is very good to hear).

·
Registered
660 Posts
The MBRP sounds nice and deep and most people state there is no drone to it.. Unfortunately, I cannot say as I have not installed mine yet...

·
Registered
816 Posts
With a 3" you'll get a deep tone. Not to say with the other ones you won't but Cobb and greddy for example do not sound deep in videos but upon installing my greddy it sounds very deep and not like any 4 cylinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thatstfromtheh

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ive got the Cobb and Im very happy with it. Nice deep tone when you hit wot and calm and quiet for cruising. No drone whatsoever on the highway and as it matured it seemed to just get a deeper tone. The main reason I chose it was it was one of the only cbe's with flange connections and not slip fittings. The quality fit and finish were excellent.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have the Magnaflow and while I'm alright with it, my wife hates it. I've had V8's all my life and the Focus with an aftermarket exhaust is a far cry for a good V8 rumble. Honestly if it wasn't for the slight performance gain and weight reduction I would stay stock. My Magnaflow, with stock downpipe, almost has a high pitch that irritates your eardrums when accelerating hard. At cruising speed you hardly notice its aftermarket. Good luck with you choice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 3" agency power exhaust on mine, and its deep! I really do like the sound, roars at wot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tried to upload a video but did t work for some reason, you can check out my IG "Im.focust" I have a couple videos on there

·
Registered
482 Posts
These turbo 4's sound great even straight piped IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
the catless dp really makes a giant difference between cobb cattless dp vs cobb with stock dp

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have the roush exhaust right now as it was the first mod that I did. I went with a catless downpipe and it was a horrible sound. It did actually sound like a Honda which I couldn't believe even with having the turbo. I then went with a Cobb catted downpipe and this really help with the sound and provided a nice deep tone. I since have taken the downpipe off and in essence returned to stock even though I still have the exhaust. IMO, even with the catted downpipe my exhaust was louder than guys in my group with a res and muf delete.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the roush exhaust right now as it was the first mod that I did. I went with a catless downpipe and it was a horrible sound. It did actually sound like a Honda which I couldn't believe even with having the turbo. I then went with a Cobb catted downpipe and this really help with the sound and provided a nice deep tone. I since have taken the downpipe off and in essence returned to stock even though I still have the exhaust. IMO, even with the catted downpipe my exhaust was louder than guys in my group with a res and muf delete.
Are you selling your down pipe by chance!?

·
Registered
506 Posts
This exhaust is loud. No ways around it. But I never thought it sounded like a fart can. It's probably closer to a muscle car than Honda with those exhaust. Here's a video of me backing in the garage the other night. Obviously there's an echo from the garage but it just accentuates how it actually sounds.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the Roush catback and I am so happy. I have had other cars with exhausts and I have always been scared that they would be too loud, so I went too far to the quiet side. While I thought I liked the exhausts, they just never excited me.

The Roush is loud. Don't get me wrong. I do not think it is obnoxious loud though. You just need to know how to drive the car and it can actually be quite quiet. If you dip more than 1/2 throttle, then it wakes up and can get loud. For highway driving you can hear it, but next to no drone.

If you want the car to be stock level quiet when cruising, then don't get it. If you want the car to have a sound that is like no other, and be exciting, then the Roush is great. The car doesn't sound like a Honda, Subaru, Mazda or anything really. Its a really unique sound and I have actually had quite a few people comment on the exhaust while driving. You get some great cracks and pops just from the catback.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have the Roush catback and I am so happy. I have had other cars with exhausts and I have always been scared that they would be too loud, so I went too far to the quiet side. While I thought I liked the exhausts, they just never excited me.

The Roush is loud. Don't get me wrong. I do not think it is obnoxious loud though. You just need to know how to drive the car and it can actually be quite quiet. If you dip more than 1/2 throttle, then it wakes up and can get loud. For highway driving you can hear it, but next to no drone.

If you want the car to be stock level quiet when cruising, then don't get it. If you want the car to have a sound that is like no other, and be exciting, then the Roush is great. The car doesn't sound like a Honda, Subaru, Mazda or anything really. Its a really unique sound and I have actually had quite a few people comment on the exhaust while driving. You get some great cracks and pops just from the catback.
So I should go with the Cobb or MBRP if I still want to have a normal conversation while cruising at 80 and 70. Plus I work in the city city part of Charlotte and with those building exhaust sounds get magnified a lot to where for example a fire truck siren going by actually hurts your ears and you can feel the vibrations in your ear. I don't want to be that jag off that makes little kids cry when I go by.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So I should go with the Cobb or MBRP if I still want to have a normal conversation while cruising at 80 and 70. Plus I work in the city city part of Charlotte and with those building exhaust sounds get magnified a lot to where for example a fire truck siren going by actually hurts your ears and you can feel the vibrations in your ear. I don't want to be that jag off that makes little kids cry when I go by.
When I am on the highway, I don't find it much louder. It definitely is louder, but not so loud that you cannot hear your radio or talk. I live on the highway for work, and am constantly on the phone through bluetooth and it has never been an issue.

I would really recommend finding someone local who has the exhaust and see if they will take you for a drive. That is really the only way. What I think is loud, you may think is unbearable. Or what you think sounds good, I might hate. The nice thing about the exhaust is that it is inexpensive. For how cheap it was, I was actually pleasantly surprised when installing, how good the welds looked and how well it fit up.

The nice thing about that exhaust, is that once you get used to learning how to drive the car with the exhaust, it is easy to keep it quiet, but also easy to make it crazy loud. It took me a few days, but it isn't hard at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts